Sixline white spot between eyes

Angel_Leo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I introduced a six-line wrasse into my 32-gallon a week ago. It became my favorite fish instantly. I started to notice a spot between its eyes about 2 days later, but the spot was really tiny. Today I felt like it has got bigger and I would appreciate your advice on identification and treatment. It is a very swift swimmer, so it was not easy to take good photos. I am sharing the top 4 of the 20 photos I took with my iPhone.
It is very active and eats well, and gets along with all tank mates. I am only worried about the spot because it is getting bigger.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you!
IMG_0711.jpg

IMG_0718.jpg

IMG_0728.jpg
IMG_0736.jpg

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I introduced a six-line wrasse into my 32-gallon a week ago. It became my favorite fish instantly. I started to notice a spot between its eyes about 2 days later, but the spot was really tiny. Today I felt like it has got bigger and I would appreciate your advice on identification and treatment. It is a very swift swimmer, so it was not easy to take good photos. I am sharing the top 4 of the 20 photos I took with my iPhone.
It is very active and eats well, and gets along with all tank mates. I am only worried about the spot because it is getting bigger.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you!
IMG_0711.jpg

IMG_0718.jpg

IMG_0728.jpg
IMG_0736.jpg
Appears to be a scrape. Keep an eye on it to ensure it doesn’t become infected.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@JGT @DaddyFish thank you for your quick replies. how do you identify a bacterial infection?
You’ll start to see white puffy tissue around the scrape. Similar to a human when they get a cut and it gets infected. Then it may be time for an antibiotic. Kanaex +Furan-2+Metraplex is an old standby but there are plenty of others.

OP
OP
Angel_Leo

Angel_Leo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update and seeking opinion: So the six-line went into hiding at some point yesterday, which I thought was strange because this fish was the most active fish in my tank. I was worried when he did not even come out to feed. So this morning, I started to look for it in my tank, and when I lifted its favorite hang out spot (a decorative cave) its pale white body fell to the substrate. I think it died yesterday from whatever it was suffering from. I am sad and confused about a few things here.
1. It did not display signs of stress until before he died. It was swimming and eating well the whole time (so I wasn't worried) until he suddenly went missing. But now I keep thinking I could've saved it if I put him in a QT in time.
2. Adding to my confusion is the increased aggression of my bigger of the clownfish pair I have in my tank. From exactly the same time that the six-line went missing the clown has been overly aggressive and fearless. I was doing some tank maintenance the same day six line went missing, and this clown kept biting me viciously to the point that I had to put on gloves.
3. I noticed a puncture wound on the dead six line's mouth, it looks like a bite mark to me. I am not posting a photo because it may be disturbing to some. But if someone feels they can identify from photo the cause of death, I could share
4. Then there is my royal gramma who never used to venture out of its cave, but since the six-line went missing, the gramma was swimming around the whole tank. It was strange because I never get to see her and here she is showing herself all day. It even went to sleep in a different spot that night. Super strange
5. Finally, the part where the six line had the white spot was completely missing when I observed its dead body, like someone took a chunk off his face.
Did my six line die from an infection or did my monster clown kill him or was it my hermit gramma?
If it was an infection how could I have known? Can I do something now to protect my remaining fish in case my tank is infected?

CCauthers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of the missing flesh is likely post mortem from cuc, but I'm guessing that all of your other fish are acting strangely because the social hierarchy of the tank has been upset.

OP
OP
Angel_Leo

Angel_Leo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@CCauthers By cuc you mean clean up crew? I don't have much of that in my tank. Also, any thoughts on the puncture wound I mentioned? I keep thinking that the six line was sick and hiding and the clownfish took the opportunity to attack him then.
Also, I still don't know what my six line was sick with. Forum members suggested it was a scrape from bumping into something, but was it?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like post-injury BUT I dont like the looks of the spot. I would say, melafix would be good but it looks bacterial around that wound and i would watch it

OP
OP
Angel_Leo

Angel_Leo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can melafix be added to fish tank? My biggest struggle is netting a fish.
Btw my six line died. Asking for future reference

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 32 60.4%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back