Sixty’s Understanding of Nutrient Ratios

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks - I wasn't trying to argue with you - I was only trying to clarify for myself. Of course each paper needs to be read in its context - and I only concentrated on the 'abstract conclusions'. I guess the question in my mind is - in certain conditions - could the amount of organic carbon 'influence' the amount of pest algae in the tank? Such as low light conditions.

The conversation brings up a number of questions in my mind - so allow me to pick your brain. For example - would any of this data suggest dosing carbon after lights out - or does it matter? Etc etc. Would the time of 'feeding' the tank influence pest algae. Note I'm not talking about photosynthesis occurring in coral, etc - only things like cyanobacteria, diatoms, etc. Just curious about your thoughts.

My idea would be that organic carbon - (and I think this is your idea as well) - would be more quickly used by bacteria - than having an influence on pest algae. Hey - at least this is more fun discussing than the stock market lol:)

If you are talking near blackout with dosing of organic carbon, some types of algae may be able to take up some of the organic carbon to help survive.

But algae are called autotrophic organisms for a reason. They are not, like cyanobacteria, partly heterotropic and survive well on organics.

"In this review, the focus is the marine macroalgae or seaweeds, which are multicellular, macroscopic, eukaryotic, and autotrophic organisms."

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This article discusses how some algae can use both CO2 and organics to survive and grow, but that is in a study using 500 ppm glycerol in the water!!!

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S2211926418300791

"Mixotrophic growth is an ability of microalgae to concurrently assimilate CO2 and organic carbon. In the present study, the use of glycerol to enhance microalgal biomass and lipid productivities was investigated in relation to nitrate availability. Under nitrate sufficient conditions, the biomass productivities of Nannochloropsis salina (CCMP 1776) and a marine Chlorella sp. were 1.7 and 1.9 times higher in mixotrophic culture than under strictly photoautotrophic conditions, respectively. Both algae required light to assimilate glycerol. "

"No significant algae growth was observed under heterotrophic conditions, despite apparent utilisation of both nitrate and glycerol. "

"Experiments were performed with provision of different combinations of light, sodium nitrate, and glycerol. For mixotrophic and heterotrophic experiments, glycerol (Ajax Finechem, ≥99.5%) was included in the growth medium to give an initial concentration of 0.5 g L−1"
"Additionally, a carbon mass balance was conducted based on glycerol utilisation and biomass production in N. salina cultures, which revealed a net release of CO2 during mixotrophic growth. "

The last sentence suggests those organisms are using metabolized organics as a source of CO2

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you are talking near blackout with dosing of organic carbon, some types of algae may be able to take up some of the organic carbon to help survive.

But algae are called autotrophic organisms for a reason. They are not, like cyanobacteria, partly heterotropic and survive well on organics.

"In this review, the focus is the marine macroalgae or seaweeds, which are multicellular, macroscopic, eukaryotic, and autotrophic organisms."
Except I was talking about diatoms and cyanobacteria. I specifically said I'm not talking about macro algae. I was talking about 'pests' in the tank. So - I'm assuming then - that the answer to my question 'Do any of these studies suggest it might be better to feed or dose carbon in darkness - as compared to in light - and same question Re feeding (evening vs morning)? EDIT - would be 'No there would be no (or little) difference?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Except I was talking about diatoms and cyanobacteria. I specifically said I'm not talking about macro algae. I was talking about 'pests' in the tank. So - I'm assuming then - that the answer to my question 'Do any of these studies suggest it might be better to feed or dose carbon in darkness - as compared to in light - and same question Re feeding (evening vs morning)? EDIT - would be 'No there would be no (or little) difference?

I've not heard of anyone getting cyano in the dark part of a reef aquarium, even when organic carbon dosing, and no one is dosing anywhere close to 500 ppm of a standard organic, but it is certainly true and not unexpected that cyano can benefit from organic carbon dosing and might be a pest.

I do not know, nor did I see in my tank, if dosing organics had any effect on diatoms.

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef tanks are obviously carbon limited for many species of bacteria. That's why organic carbon dosing works to drive bacteria.

I do not believe there is any evidence that any reef tank at any normal pH (say, less than 8.5) is carbon limited for photosynthesis.

Further, there is lots of evidence to the contrary: Vast numbers of reefers who have tested it themselves by dosing organic carbon. There is no evidence from these experiments that dosing organic carbon (unless it is a special organic that contains N or P) boosts coral or macroalgae growth rates.

You are right again, they couldn’t experience or observed it because they’re tank would of been Carbon limited, that’s why they would start dosing carbon in the first place.

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does not make any sense and is not correct.

I know you strongly believe what you are writing, but I don't want folks reading this to think it is a simple true statement.
What would be stopping the growth of the macro algae in that situation in your opinion. Why do some can grow algae with a flashlight and others need the power of the sun to grow algae in similar parameters conditions?

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm almost at a lose for words. What prediction did you make that is correct?

You have no evidence that any prediction you have made on any system is accurate except your saying it is true.

You declined to predict what is limiting in the REAL cases I posted where IT IS KNOWN what is limiting.

That's a real test.
Am just trying to promote some health discussion, if you think this thread is going off rails than I don’t mind stopping it here.

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Serious and honest question, if Carbon is useless to grow algaes why is it that two of the larger brands of chaeto fertiliser contain Carbon in the chemical analysis.

Is Potassium carbonate a source of carbon also? Out of my league in this one, my chemical knowledge rubbish.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are right again, they couldn’t experience or observed it because they’re tank would of been Carbon limited, that’s why they would start dosing carbon in the first place.

Every reef tank (or close to it) is organic carbon limited for heterotrophic bacterial growth. Doesn't take any ratios to know that. Add lots of metabolizable organic matter and bacteria will grow. That's why organic carbon dosing works.

There's likely no reef tank that is soluble organic carbon limited for photosynthetic organisms such as phytoplankton, and macroalgae.

Corals that eat foods (organic matter), and bacteria such as cyanobacterial can be a mixture of results where they do consume foods (organics) and metabolize them to CO2.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is Potassium carbonate a source of carbon also? Out of my league in this one, my chemical knowledge rubbish.

Which products?

There are LOADS of bogus products that cannot possibly work or work for the reasons claimed, so pointing to ingredients as evidence of something is often a fail. It's a very serious problem in reefing, and the actual manufacturer of one of those you mention is among the worst fails.

But in this case, if you are talking about the incredibly low level of 0.005% carbon in chaetogro is not in any supplied for carbon sourcing. It is part of the EDTA molecule used to keep the iron soluble:

Sources of Nutrients​

Potassium sulfate, Calcium chloride, Magnesium sulfate, Potassium iodide, Iron EDTA, Zinc sulfate, Manganese chloride, Sodium tetraborate, Cobalt chloride, Sodium molybdate.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would be stopping the growth of the macro algae in that situation in your opinion. Why do some can grow algae with a flashlight and others need the power of the sun to grow algae in similar parameters conditions?

Macroalgae and all photosynthetic organisms need a whole host of chemicalls to do the job, N, P, many trace metals such as iron and manganese, light, space, and freedom from herbovires and chemical poisons.

In much of the ocean, it is iron that limits phytoplankton growth and dosing iron to the ocean boosts growth. It is not either N or P or C that individually limits that growth.

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley thank you it was very productive and informative, there was two theories involving the abundance of Carbon that could cause the algae to bloom, I may have to revisit this particular situation in a later date once I absorb more knowledge on what happens in a high Carbon abundance event. Maybe co2 could become more available in a high C situation helping algaes to thrive and less available in a low C situation reducing growth or stalling, maybe that’s why there is K2O in most chaeto fertilisers to increase co2 availability, k20 reacts with Co2 making K2CO3. in low carbon situations It’s not uncommon to see low ph during algae bloom events
there will be something related just don’t have the answers right now

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s no K2O in chaeto fertilizers. That is just a legal requirement for how to indicate how much potassium is present . IMO, it is stupid, but it’s just a unit of measure of potassium.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For chaetogro, for example,

Guaranteed Analysis​

0-0-1.30; Potassium (K) as Soluble Potash (K2O) (min) 1.30%; Boron 0.009%; Carbon 0.005%; Calcium 0.14%; Chlorine 0.39%; Cobalt 0.0004%; Iron 0.1%; Magnesium 0.4%; Manganese 0.0475%; Molybdenum 0.004%; Sulfur 0.16%; Zinc 0.002%.

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s no K2O in chaeto fertilizers. That is just a legal requirement for how to indicate how much potassium is present . IMO, it is stupid, but it’s just a unit of measure of potassium.
I’ll find the connection one day, I’m not suffering from GHA at the moment to be able to study it further, I am suffering from Cyanobacteria on the new tank, and have been putting the theory to practice to see what happens, did you saw the Cyanobacteria theory?

Last edited:
OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s important to mention that the theoretical formula still stands correct in my opinion, if we look at the first paragraph regarding pest algaes I’ve mentioned that the formula is telling me that there is a high abundance of Carbon, carbon can be in the form of Doc and N-Doc the theoretical formula can’t account for how much of each is available. My mistake was to make a assumption that was Doc the root cause for the issue completely disregarding N-Doc. And we all know what happens wend assumption are made. I apologise for not taking the availability of N-Doc in consideration that could well be the route cause of pest algae’s thriving instead of Doc.
I don’t want for my lack of chemistry knowledge and my assumption to interfere with a potentially good formula that could be good for the hobby.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley would you be willing in Removing the words “of Redfield” from the title of the thread and move this thread to a place in the forum that could be more suitable for the evolution of the discussion?
I realised I’ve made a mistake in having “Redfield” in the title I tough in messaging a mod to remove it but felt out of place in doing so.

the intension is to discuss the importance of Ratios effects in Nutrient limitations scenarios not necessarily around just one, the theoretical formula is based on the assumption that most microbes in a system utilises nutrient in a C N P ratio and as I’ve expressed several times during the thread that ratio may not be Redfield although I believe there will be a ratio that is unknown. I’d like to carry on having a civil productive discussion on the subject if possible and understand that we may not be in the right place to do so.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 62 36.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back