Skeleton Recession on a duncan - Should I frag it?

Empti

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Duncans been the moodiest coral (~15ish corals mostly euphylia) in my whole tank (2 months old since swapping from old tank -params below) since I first got him, took ages to open. Lately once again he hasn't been opening but it was mostly one one side that had a bit of hair algae so I thought my new coral beauty angelfish may of been nibbling there. Past two days other side has opened less and I noticed on the side where I had previously used epoxy to secure him to rock there was skeletal bleaching. Today looking again the bleached section of skeleton had seemingly fallen off leaving a brown spot - with a brown hole of skeleton behind it where there was no epoxy. Thought on what may be the cause of this as I'm aware of tissue recession but to see skeleton fall away is confusing to me?

As a potential solution + wanted to anyways I was looking at fragging him into three frags (two branches + the base with the browning skeleton separate) would this accelerate decline of potentially the whole colony or save the branches from the skeleton recession.

Params
Alk 7.8
ph 8.2
Mg 1175 (increasing it now)
Ca 463
Salinity 1.024 (increasing to 1.026)
Ammonia/Nitrite/Phos 0
Nitrate 10

Duncan Front.jpg Duncan Side.jpg

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures under whiter light would be helpful.
That said, if you already thought about fragging it anyway, then certainly don't hesitate to do so. Next, I suggest using a good coral pest dip. From your description, it seems like something might have burrowed into the coral...
Whatever you do, keep an eye on all 3 frags and if you suspect brown jelly disease, give it the sniff test (trust me, if it has that bjd stink, there will be no question!) and if it's infected, throw it out.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 34.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back