SkiCat's Dream Build: [Saving The] Planet 180 - The Making Of An Epic Aquacultured Mixed Reef

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cut and routed the back side panels. These will be held on by magnets so I can pull them off easily for maintenance.

IMG_1935.jpeg

These pieces will go behind the above panels on each side to hold them on. The black circles are neodymium magnets, super strong.

IMG_1936.jpeg

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some LED strips for inside the stand, with two magnetic switches to turn on each set when the door is opened.

IMG_1919.jpeg
This is a project I’ve been meaning to do, ended up being the last on the list of things. Now I’ve ran out of EnergyBar slots and 24v slots :oops: Not sure if I have enough to warrant a new EB lol

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I noticed that. I was under the impression that I needed to by another $100 box to add wifi, so I'll have to check that out. It would be cool if it were already included.

I'd be very surprised if WiFi is not included. I mean, after all, it's advertised right on the manufacturer's box. Plus, it's really inexpensive to add to something these days.

BTW - in case it does not have it, there are options to add WiFi to many things for way less than $100 now.

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a project I’ve been meaning to do, ended up being the last on the list of things. Now I’ve ran out of EnergyBar slots and 24v slots :oops: Not sure if I have enough to warrant a new EB lol
Yeah, I now have two. I still need to count exactly how many things I need to connect, but I want to do all the drilling and installing while I have the stand in the garage, instead of after I have water in the sump.

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be very surprised if WiFi is not included. I mean, after all, it's advertised right on the manufacturer's box. Plus, it's really inexpensive to add to something these days.

BTW - in case it does not have it, there are options to add WiFi to many things for way less than $100 now.
OK, so I checked the documentation, apparently, this is only "WIFI Capable", so I do have to buy the add-on.

The chiller does have a CAT-5 connector on the back, don't know if that does Ethernet directly, or they just use that same connector type. There is a small box that connects to that port and a USB charger cable. I do think it is wrong for them to put WIFI right on the front of the machine if it doesn't actually do WIFI...

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the size panels! Are you planning on staining the wood or keeping it natural?
The entire stand wrapping and doors will be painted white. The white color of some of the boards already is primer (not paint yet), but it's nearly the same color, just semi-gloss instead of the matte that's on there right now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did think for a brief moment you were going to leave it doorless and show off all that hard work underneath, doors look awesome though!
The doors do come off. The hinges have a lever on the back to disconnect them.

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good man, that sump is INSANE! Crazy attention to detail. Id have probably stormed off multiple times if i tried all that lol :D
Thanks! I am a little OCD about it. I figure if I'm going all out, I should do it right! :)

This family QT is giving me a little more time recently to get caught up...so close now...

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a few more toys for the build. Among them, a DOS for AWC. It was not my first choice, but since I am currently using an Apex for most automation, I want something that can easily integrate. At some point in the future, when the Versa or GHL large pumps are better integrated maybe I'll switch over.

IMG_1961.jpeg

And an FS-50 1/2" flow sensor for the chiller.

IMG_1962.jpeg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back