SkiCat's Dream Build: [Saving The] Planet 180 - The Making Of An Epic Aquacultured Mixed Reef

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great picture of Grover with the new phone. He's quite upset with me for the new digs...

IMG_3394.jpeg

The other three aren't happy either, but they are getting along quite nicely. I just can't believe how well they do now, after a few days of fighting with themselves in the mirror. They just move around in a ball swimming around each other all day...

8F124C9F-8DF4-45F2-97B3-E6C3B4563D45_1_105_c.jpeg

I had intended to put them 2 each in two tanks, but they do so well, it saves me lots of effort if they can just be in one tank...

Last edited:

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ski,
Your new iPhone camera sure picks up all the details!!

Looks great on this side... ;Woot ;Woot

Would like to see some shots taken under your G5's, mount on orange filter or no filter

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ski,
Your new iPhone camera sure picks up all the details!!

Looks great on this side... ;Woot ;Woot

Would like to see some shots taken under your G5's, mount on orange filter or no filter
Yes, I will try to take some soon. Busy right now, and with everything in QT and Fallow might not be so exciting yet...

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some sad news to report. Unfortunately, Grover didn't make it after the transfer to QT. It isn't obvious what happened, it could have been the stress of capture, or bullying by the others overnight, but I found him in the morning under the PVC. There was some fin damage, so I'm kind of hoping that's what it was, and it wasn't from disease or some other problem that will affect the others. I never saw any fighting, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen when I wasn't looking.

I did a 90% water change in QT and cleaned the filter floss. It's been a day and everyone else seems fine so far...fingers crossed.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some sad news to report. Unfortunately, Grover didn't make it after the transfer to QT. It isn't obvious what happened, it could have been the stress of capture, or bullying by the others overnight, but I found him in the morning under the PVC. There was some fin damage, so I'm kind of hoping that's what it was, and it wasn't from disease or some other problem that will affect the others. I never saw any fighting, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen when I wasn't looking.

I did a 90% water change in QT and cleaned the filter floss. It's been a day and everyone else seems fine so far...fingers crossed.

Sorry about your loss man, it always sucks losing them especially when you don't really know what it was that caused it. Fingers crossed it was stress and nothing else

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second round of snails arrived the other day safely. These were pre-QTd for 76 days and looked very clean.

895E2040-9C34-4CB5-BBBD-0D236AF00FD8_1_105_c.jpeg

They are now in the invert QT tank for observation for a week or so, then I'll move them in the Display/Fallow tank.
Where did you order those from? I'm getting my first CUC next week. For better or for worse I ordered from reef cleaners

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you order those from? I'm getting my first CUC next week. For better or for worse I ordered from reef cleaners
https://quarantinedfish.us/

Good guy. He does fish and inverts, he hardly even marks things up over retail. He will occasionally have surplus already QT'd and ready to go as well.

I'm discussing getting some tank raised fish through him...saves me the time and effort of QT. We'll see how that goes.

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about losing Grover... ;Sorry
Sorry about your loss man, it always sucks losing them especially when you don't really know what it was that caused it. Fingers crossed it was stress and nothing else
Thanks guys, it sucks...not sure if I'll replace him...we'll see what's next after this fallow period.

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re going fallow, you didn’t need to buy preQT’d inverts. You could have dumped them into the tank. Not sure how much money you would have saved though...

Now’s a good time to buy coral, shrimp, crabs, whatever!

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re going fallow, you didn’t need to buy preQT’d inverts. You could have dumped them into the tank. Not sure how much money you would have saved though...

Now’s a good time to buy coral, shrimp, crabs, whatever!
Even so, I still would have to restart the clock and add two weeks. But, at less than $2 each, clean of pests, shipped, it's a pretty good deal. I also wanted to order something from them anyway to see how it goes, I figured this was a good option.

Other times I've ordered recently harvested inverts they were covered in limpets, vermitids, worms, etc. and the last batch from Pacific East had aiptasia on them. It was such a pain and took forever scraping and cleaning each one...

And I'm with you on the corals, I considered it, but the rock is so covered with algae right now I'm lucky if the coral I have survives until I get it under control. I don't need to risk more in there...tempting though...

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Kalk Stirrer is hooked up. I decided to create a separate RODI In for it because I don't like the idea of it just dosing as needed for evaporation. Instead, I tee'd off the ATO in and added a separate solenoid and a ball valve.

It's the blue RODI line with the solenoid mounted just under the shelf with the dosers, then it continues around to the ball valve on the front.

9FDB0712-F88F-4B50-B704-A802B872692F_1_105_c.jpeg

When the solenoid turns on, the water flows into the bottom, then overflows a pipe at the top, and runs down into the sump. I currently have it dumping into the front fuge section.

34DBE2AE-5B34-468C-AF54-72028950B4B5_1_105_c.jpeg

I currently have the Apex turning it on for a few seconds every minute. I'll tune it with both the amount of time it's on and the flow when it's on.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, @Gablami got me thinking, I have a lot of points from Algae Barn from the pods and whatnot, so I went ahead and used that to order a couple more urchins, some shrimp, and a few more snails, all captive bred. I'll put them in the invert QT for a bit.

The shrimp should be fine as soon as they molt, and the urchins in theory should be OK...

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like the selenoid option over evaporation with your kalk.

Randy used to roll that way.
It's working so far. I upped the Trident to every 3 hours for a bit so I can tune it in. I'm a little concerned about the ball valve drifting over time...but I'm hopeful that if anything, it closes up, rather than opening significantly and dumping too much in. Either way, I can monitor the pH for out of range if it goes up too much.

Takaki1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aaannd, now that all the fish are in the tank, there is a bit of grandstanding to determine who is going to be in charge! I had to pull out the magic anti-fish-fighting tiles!

A6C2A513-56F7-4AC4-A8AF-4191A818512A_1_105_c.jpeg

One of these on each end of the tank, secured with a magnet, and within seconds they were all completely distracted by their own reflections to notice each other.

IMG_3288.jpeg

Eventually, even the lawnmower blenny got in on the action. They all four spent the entire day swimming back and forth to the two mirrors to show off for those imaginary fish.

IMG_3291 2.jpeg
What are the benefits of placing a mirror? Are you saying that the fish will be distracted by their own appearance and thus prevent actual fights between them from happening?

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SkiCatTX I like your use of all the different colors of airline tubing for your dosing lines. I’m going to do that too. Getting the airline directly from Cobalt, they have all the colors and I can get them at the same time. Do you you use zip ties to secure them? Your zip ties for that must be really small. Link for small zip ties?

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back