SkiCat's Dream Build: [Saving The] Planet 180 - The Making Of An Epic Aquacultured Mixed Reef

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ski,
Glad you guys made it through down in Houston.

FWIW:
Been using Ray and Matt at TSM Aquatics for pre-QT'd fish and have been very happy with them.

It will be nice to read your thoughts regarding Ocean Devotion.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoa, grabbed a few tester corals from the @Tidal Gardens live sale today! I've never done that before but it was pretty cool, and it's about time I get a few things anyway.

I painfully stayed away from the named acros for now, just two until I see how these do. Also, a few Cyphastrea, Montis, Candy Cane, and Pavona, mostly to replace losses over the last year or two from my old tank during the new build.

I also paid $1 to designate next Monday as the shipping day, to give me time to set up the holding tank for them, and get ready for cutting, dipping, gluing, etc. That's pretty cool.
Haha so cool! I told myself I'd never do a live sale and ended up bored on a Sunday and let myself get sucked into TSA's live sale. Like you mentioned, I didn't get dumb and chase names and stuck to my passions and either I got it or I didn't and really didn't care either way. I did manage to snag over $5 deal lol. Have you received them yet? Look forward to seeing your new additions!

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank survived just fine, thankfully, unlike many, many others all over Texas. Our heartfelt good wishes and prayers go out to all the others who were not so lucky.

The losses weren’t limited to fish tanks and humans, but also included animals and plants outdoors. We have found a number of lizards, snakes, tree frogs, rodents, etc. dead around the neighborhood. Also, many palms, citrus trees, bananas, etc. froze last week. I suspect not a single orange or grapefruit tree that wasn't covered will survive. Many of these trees people have had for decades...for people who spend as much time in their gardens as we do on our tanks, it’s a loss as well...

We covered much of our more sensitive landscaping, but here are some before and after pictures around the house. I just got started cutting away the dead branches this weekend...

These were covered, still look pretty bad...
IMG_4035.jpeg
IMG_4475.jpeg

Not covered
IMG_4038.jpeg
IMG_4471.jpeg

IMG_4039.jpeg
IMG_4472.jpeg

Covered
IMG_4040.jpeg
IMG_4468.jpeg

And to add insult to injury, check out the weather today...not even a week later...
IMG_4490.PNG
Beautiful place you got there

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ski,
Glad you guys made it through down in Houston.

FWIW:
Been using Ray and Matt at TSM Aquatics for pre-QT'd fish and have been very happy with them.

It will be nice to read your thoughts regarding Ocean Devotion.
When I started looking for someone to QT some fish, I sent emails to everyone I could find online, especially the list on @Humblefish 's site, asking about QTing several captive-bred fish. Most either refused to do captive-bred, or didn't have room for more fish at the time. Adam responded immediately, and was very responsive while he looked into where he could get the fish (He already had accounts with Biota and ORA), and prices were completely reasonable (most people are doing about 50% over discounted retail).

My initial plan was to go with QuarntinedFish, where I get my inverts, which is a great guy, and would otherwise be my first choice, but he works a lot and his response times are more than 7 days, sometimes requiring a second email to get any reply. I understand not pestering someone with frequent requests (I run my own company after all), but if I'm going to spend over $1,000 on fish, I'd like at least get a "let me get back to you this weekend" or something. Don't get me wrong, I have been completely happy with several invert orders, he's top notch with the QT process and shipping.

Adam is supposed to get my fish in this week, and he has promised to send pics, so I'll post as soon as I hear something.

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha so cool! I told myself I'd never do a live sale and ended up bored on a Sunday and let myself get sucked into TSA's live sale. Like you mentioned, I didn't get dumb and chase names and stuck to my passions and either I got it or I didn't and really didn't care either way. I did manage to snag over $5 deal lol. Have you received them yet? Look forward to seeing your new additions!
Yeah, I ordered just enough to get the free shipping. I just followed along, checking every few minutes and adding to my card. You don't actually have them until you check out (kind of like buying a PS5 right now!), so I would just add things that I wasn't too worried about losing, then once something actually interesting came up I would go check out immediately. I ended up with about 4 separate PayPal orders, then the $1 for a designated shipping date.

They should ship out Monday for Tuesday arrival. I'll post pictures next week.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I ordered just enough to get the free shipping. I just followed along, checking every few minutes and adding to my card. You don't actually have them until you check out (kind of like buying a PS5 right now!), so I would just add things that I wasn't too worried about losing, then once something actually interesting came up I would go check out immediately. I ended up with about 4 separate PayPal orders, then the $1 for a designated shipping date.

They should ship out Monday for Tuesday arrival. I'll post pictures next week.
Yeah, it wasn't the stressful experience I've read some people talking about. Maybe it's just individual dispositions... Congrats on your new additions!

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope your plants bounce back.

Beautiful place you got there
Thanks!

Some good news on that front, it looks like we only "lost" one citrus tree, and even that one might be recovering.

IMG_4500.jpeg

This one was my favorite, a TX Rio Red Grapefruit. We got about 5 gallons of juice from it so far this year, with about another gallon still on the tree, we just didn't have time to get it. The tarp blew off this one for a few hours, but it was enough to freeze the leaves and branches.

IMG_4501.jpeg

The other 4 were fine, even the flowers survived and are starting to open (since they normally bloom in February or March). From left to right: Moro Blood Orange, Satsuma Mandarine, another Mandarin, and a Lemon. The missing one was a Clementine, which was always 90% seeds and 10% orange so I finally removed it last fall. I already have a seedless Pixie Manadarin to replace it, and a new Meyer Lemon my wife got last year will go in the back. I hope to plant these this weekend.

IMG_4503.jpeg

Some hope though, there is some new growth on the Grapefruit already, so with luck we'll be back on schedule next year...

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The generator was delivered Friday, they will be back Monday to start digging and running pipe and wires. With various inspections and new gas meter installation it will still be a few weeks before it's live.

IMG_4495.jpeg

We ordered it back in December and I thought I was doing great getting a head start on the summer Hurrican season, who knew we might need it sooner than that. Still, it was delayed a couple of weeks due to the recent weather, but we're now back on schedule.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ski,
I was using TM Pro for a while with no complaints, but its price tag just got hard to swallow.

Then moved to DD H2Ocean Mag Pro mix and they quit supplying the USA???

lol
Unless it's a Deltec skimmer or Rowaphos just can't count on DD to be there if need be.

Anyways...
Went back to Aquavitro Salinity (225-gallon buckets) and staying put. Mixes a tad foggy, but you truly get 225 gallons while mixing to .35 ppt

Your new generator looks great.

Question:
Did you find the issue with your Trident?

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyways...
Went back to Aquavitro Salinity (225-gallon buckets) and staying put. Mixes a tad foggy, but you truly get 225 gallons while mixing to .35 ppt
I keep that one on the list if salt drought keeps up.

Your new generator looks great.
Yes, we are very excited...even if we never use it (which is doubtful), the peace of mind is worth it.

Question:
Did you find the issue with your Trident?
You mean the purple leak all over the place? Yeah, the only issues I have ever had with the machine is one or more of the hoses coming off that central valve inside. They use impossibly small tubing, and don't have anything holding it on, even barbs. There are just smooth plastic tubes jutting out, and the tubing slides freely on it, so any pressure at all, or over time, they just come off. You have to be especially careful when changing reagents, that you don't pull on the reagent bottle tubes, or you will pull them off, which is what I think happened this last time.

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sent off two ICP tests recently, one to Triton and the other to ICP-Analysis. Both came back pretty good, only one sort of major issue, and a few other things slightly off. Minor issues were low Iodine, which I've always struggled with as it's difficult to test for, but I may set up a dosing channel for it. Also, Strontium and a few other traces.

The big one was Silicon (not Silicone, which is used to build aquariums and such...amazing how many people have no clue they are different things...searching is a pain since R2R and even Google will return results for both adding to the noise). Triton reports a value of 489ug/l and ICP-Analysis says 2,680ppb, which I think are equivalent units...so 5x range between them. However, ICP-Analysis also tested my RODI and found the freshwater had a value of 400ppb. Ideally, we want a value below 200ppb, but there is some debate whether this is even a problem. However, with such a high value, I'm going to try to bring it down anyway.

Unfortunately, there is not much information on removing Silicon itself, and only Triton offers some clue. They mention using Phosphate removers, which also remove Silcates (such as Rowaphos or AL99), as a remedy. From this, I am going to assume they mean that my Silicon levels are likely bound in Silca/Silicates. Some of it might be in my bio block, or in the Real Reef Rocks or sand, but from the RODI results, I'm going to assume that at least part of it is from new water.

I first went and dumped my DI resins, they weren't showing exhausted by color, but they have been in there for over a year, so due for a change anyway. Second, apparently, Silicates can go right through normal DI resin, so I'm going to add a canister to the 3 I have and fill it with Rowaphos and PhosGuard as a last step. I was able to get these overnight from Amazon, so for now I'm running Anion, Mixed-Bed, RowaPhosGuard(tm). Once my additional refillable canister arrives this week I'll add back in the Cation for a 4-stage DI step.

IMG_4507.jpeg

I also put a bag of PhosGuard in the saltwater mixing container that I already have mixed, as well as in the tank. I don't want to do this long term, but just to try to remove some. Once I get new water made and change some out, I'll send another ICP test off in a couple of weeks to see if that helped any.

One concern I have is that Aluminum Dioxide (PhosGuard, AL99, etc.) can leach aluminum into the water, and Rowaphos is crazy expensive to use in RODI and change out even 200 gallons, so I hope I don't need to do this long term...For now, I put the Phosguard first in the container, then the Rowaphos to hopefully reduce the leaching.

There are a LOT of assumptions here, so we'll just see what happens when we get the next ICP test and maybe we'll have some info for the future.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, while I was working on this over the weekend I added an old iPhone that was sitting around to the RODI setup. Now I can change settings without needing to bring or go get my phone when I'm upstairs in the RODI "room".

IMG_4505.jpeg

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silicon in source water has been a problem for me as well. I have added several sponges to the tank in hopes they will consume some of it. Don't know validity of that idea but trying it anyway. Nice build, thanks for sharing.
Yep, we'll see if my absorption media makes any difference after a couple of weeks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let us know what's on your list!
OK, the coral shipped, should be here tomorrow...fingers crossed.

The order should include:

Replacing/Similar:
- Purple Pavona
- Captain America Cyphastrea
- Purple Stylophora
- Mai Tai Cyphastrea
- Kryptonite Candy Cane

Tester SPS
-Rainbow Montipora
-Purple Haze Montipora
-Miyagi Tort Acropora
-Bali Green Slimmer Acropora

Unfortunately, I didn't save the pics from the sale, and I can't seem to access them now. I'll post some new ones when I get them.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, the coral shipped, should be here tomorrow...fingers crossed.

The order should include:

Replacing/Similar:
- Purple Pavona
- Captain America Cyphastrea
- Purple Stylophora
- Mai Tai Cyphastrea
- Kryptonite Candy Cane

Tester SPS
-Rainbow Montipora
-Purple Haze Montipora
-Miyagi Tort Acropora
-Bali Green Slimmer Acropora

Unfortunately, I didn't save the pics from the sale, and I can't seem to access them now. I'll post some new ones when I get them.
Sounds like a super fun list tho! Wish you all good fortune on your new aquisitions!

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have arrived! (technically yesterday)

Big Box!

IMG_4523.jpeg

Very well packed, in bags and urine cups.

IMG_4524.jpeg

Step One: Cut them all off the plugs.

IMG_4525.jpeg

Step Two: Dip.

IMG_4527 2.jpeg

This time I'm using CoralRx and then Revive. I have used others like Bayer in the past, but they look really clean and I'm going to put them into the invert QT for a week or two, so if I need to I can dip them again later.

IMG_4528.jpeg

Then back on plugs. I'll get some pics with labels once I have them in the QT tank with lights on. They are browner than ideal, but not excessively so. Hopefully, they'll recover quickly.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 35 81.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.7%
Back