SkiCat's Dream Build: [Saving The] Planet 180 - The Making Of An Epic Aquacultured Mixed Reef

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear ya! We're all destined for that phase lol. Just came out of it myself. Turf algae turned into cyano and then diatoms haha. Finally just stepping back out of it myself. Hope it clears up best it can!
I found out that after cleaning the gravel over and over, it just grows back within a week or two...but if I leave it, it just gets to a certain point and stays there...so if you embrace the green lawn look, it isn't that bad...

But, if it starts to kill coral, or grow over something I like, it's out of there...

The rocks all seem fine though, that phase passed a few months ago...

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mai Tai Cyphastrea in the center, with several tiny anemones nearby, an urchin, and that's a tiny Green Slimer at the top (it died back to the plug, but seems to be coming back).

Mai Tai Cyphastrea.jpeg

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried hard to get more pictures of the other fish...but every one of them looks like this:

IMG_5233.jpeg

"Hey, watcha' doin'?"

IMG_5205.jpeg

"Check out my 'I'm dead' coloring!"

IMG_5239.jpeg

"Hi, me again...got any food?"

I mean, I could just post the entire roll of fish pics with the Rabbit Fish somewhere blurry in front over whatever....

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two of the three Rock Flower Anemones that are still around from the old days. Also a good example of the lawn I'm growing...only on the sand though...

IMG_5164.jpeg

IMG_5222.jpeg
@SkiCatTX I saw this sand stirrer from Printed Reef. You might consider.
F6B5BC17-DEBB-412E-84E0-1D179BF6009B.png

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stylo Day...

Miyagi Tort & Purple Stylo.jpeg

Purple Stylo - Right, Miyagi Tort - Left

Turquoise Stylo.jpeg

Turquoise/Green imported from my previous tank

Blue Mystery Stylo.jpeg

Mystery Blue Stylo - It is blue, but with the filter, it doesn't show here. It was a packed-in extra from a previous order with no label...

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stylo Day...

Miyagi Tort & Purple Stylo.jpeg

Purple Stylo - Right, Miyagi Tort - Left

Turquoise Stylo.jpeg

Turquoise/Green imported from my previous tank

Blue Mystery Stylo.jpeg

Mystery Blue Stylo - It is blue, but with the filter, it doesn't show here. It was a packed-in extra from a previous order with no label...
@SkiCatTX I love Styloporas. Looks like bones.

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I managed to get a few pics of the fish today, using a tripod and my Apple Watch to remotely trigger the camera. Still, out of about 100 pictures, I managed just a few with reasonably non-blurry fish in them...

PBT.jpeg

Powder Blue Tang

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a new iPad, so rather than sell the old one, I decided to mount it on the wall...

IMG_5306.jpeg

I was tired of always needing to go find my phone when I want to do something in the tank, now I just go up to the display. Way easier...though it's still annoying having to change to all the various apps...

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Return flow has been getting lower, and it's been almost a year, so I decided to clean the return pumps. It was great since I have two, and can pump to both side with only one, so I was able to clean one at a time and keep the tank running.

IMG_5330.jpeg

The flow is now almost double before the cleaning. I can now run the pumps at partial power again!

IMG_5331.jpeg

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ski,
Things are looking good in here.

Did you get your Hydros 4 controller straightened out?
Yes, they finally released a version of the software that allows the WaveEngine to be part of a collective. It's all working as a single system now, though it only controls the two Klir rollers, an auto feeder, and the wave pumps. My Apex runs everything else except the lights...which have their own system...such a pain that everyone can't just get along...

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I attended the first MARSH Reef Currents swap recently and got a few more corals. Most of them are doing pretty well and will get placed here shortly. Unfortunately, as usual, a few didn't make the dipping and observation period.

Here they are when I first placed them after cutting, dipping, and re-plugging them in the QT tank:
IMG_5851.jpeg

And here they are now in the display on a rack:
IMG_6369.jpeg

On the rack, they are/were:
-- Far Row: X-Green Goblin, Orange Monti Setosa (formerly Digi?), JF Snow Cap Monti, JF Brain Freeze
-- Near Row: X-JF Solar Flare, JF Caroliniana, TSA Princess Peach, TRI Ice Blue Leptastrea, Rouge Milli

They are clearly a bit stressed, but hopefully will color back up in the next few months...

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 57 50.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 62 54.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 22.1%
  • None.

Votes: 28 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.0%
Back