BRS

Mark Goode

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I came out of the bathroom this morning and smelled fart. The smell wasn't there when I went in so, naturally, I blamed the wife.

It wasn't her this time, so I opened the cabinet to check my sump and saw the skimmer in full eruption, having dumped the contents of the collection cup in the sump. Foam was pouring out of every hole, the cup was full of clear water and thick brown suds were floating on the surface in the sump.

Ammonia, nitrates and phosphates do not appear to have increased significantly, and nothing's dead yet (or showing obvious signs of stress).

Attempts to restart the skimmer have so far failed, all that happens is the eruption continues. I've got the RODI cooking some new water for a water change, but I think that's all I can do.

What happened? Did my skimmer cup overflow and cause the thing to go nuts? Or are there other possibilities I haven't considered.

Thanks.

BRS

gbroadbridge

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I came out of the bathroom this morning and smelled fart. The smell wasn't there when I went in so, naturally, I blamed the wife.

It wasn't her this time, so I opened the cabinet to check my sump and saw the skimmer in full eruption, having dumped the contents of the collection cup in the sump. Foam was pouring out of every hole, the cup was full of clear water and thick brown suds were floating on the surface in the sump.

Ammonia, nitrates and phosphates do not appear to have increased significantly, and nothing's dead yet (or showing obvious signs of stress).

Attempts to restart the skimmer have so far failed, all that happens is the eruption continues. I've got the RODI cooking some new water for a water change, but I think that's all I can do.

What happened? Did my skimmer cup overflow and cause the thing to go nuts? Or are there other possibilities I haven't considered.

Thanks.
Restricted air intake?

CLICK TO VIEW

FishOkay

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Used to happen with my redsea skimmer quite a bit. Sounds like the overflowing back in to the sump caused it to go nuts, although something caused it to overflow in the first place but once its overflowing like that and the skimmers retaking the overflowed water its just a cycle of oveflows.
Your best bet is to leave it off for a couple hours let everything settle and then most likely it'll work again.

OP
Mark Goode

Mark Goode

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Used to happen with my redsea skimmer quite a bit. Sounds like the overflowing back in to the sump caused it to go nuts, although something caused it to overflow in the first place but once its overflowing like that and the skimmers retaking the overflowed water its just a cycle of oveflows.
Your best bet is to leave it off for a couple hours let everything settle and then most likely it'll work again.
I think so too. Today was maintenance day, but perhaps I left my skimmer for too long. Nothing seems harmed, though I could do without the yellow water.

Corals.com
BRS

Are there parts of the hobby that you don’t talk about?

• I am an open clam . . . er, open book about my tank challenges

Votes: 121 51.7%
  • I share many of my challenges, but not all of them

Votes: 70 29.9%
  • I rarely share my reefing challenges

Votes: 32 13.7%
  • I’m still clammed up. I have nothing to say

Votes: 15 6.4%
Innovative Marine - Made to Order