Skimmer fitment redsea 250 reefer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Bape47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys

I just got the tank and i have the reef octopus 150 int and this skimmer got the pump outside and doesnt fit in the sump cause the refugium spot block it

So what skimmer r u guys using now which one is good one,i checked all skimmers around only reef octopus got good review,bubble magnus or vertex omega not really good reviews plz help

Thank you

B64A9837-4905-4C08-855F-AF4718103932.jpeg

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw some of those reviews but I trusted real reefers that I know who switched to the Nyos and were happy. I did buy it and it is everything I was told, it is now close to a year since I installed it and have zero issues. You could also shoot for the Reef Octopus with the Varios pump.

OP
OP
Bape47

Bape47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw some of those reviews but I trusted real reefers that I know who switched to the Nyos and were happy. I did buy it and it is everything I was told, it is now close to a year since I installed it and have zero issues. You could also shoot for the Reef Octopus with the Varios pump.

How does it fit? I saw a different body cup

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The shape is different but the cup is very easy to remove, in my case the Quantum 160 fitted perfectly in my Red Sea S-500. The best would be for you to measure how much space you have vs. the dimensions of the skimmer you decide.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deltec has a couple options that will fit, @Battlecorals is a great retailer to get them from. If you want to stick with Reef Octopus, Essence s-130 should fit.

Butuz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea SKS-300 skimmer. Very happy. Build thread below has the details. I replaced Nyos 120, like Red Sea a LOT better. Larger chamber, larger collection cup, drain hose, viewing window, neck cleaner. Very stable in maintaining level, way better than Nyos 120 overall for me.

JustAnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys

I just got the tank and i have the reef octopus 150 int and this skimmer got the pump outside and doesnt fit in the sump cause the refugium spot block it

So what skimmer r u guys using now which one is good one,i checked all skimmers around only reef octopus got good review,bubble magnus or vertex omega not really good reviews plz help

Thank you

B64A9837-4905-4C08-855F-AF4718103932.jpeg
I have the RSR 250 also. I use a Nyos quantum 120 for about 2 yrs now with no real problems.. sometimes I find it a PIA to adjust but YMMV

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea SKS-300 skimmer. Very happy. Build thread below has the details. I replaced Nyos 120, like Red Sea a LOT better. Larger chamber, larger collection cup, drain hose, viewing window, neck cleaner. Very stable in maintaining level, way better than Nyos 120 overall for me.

I also use the Red Sea RSK-300 skimmer and it definitely fits in my Reefer 250 V3 sump. Of the features that you listed above I especially like the large collection cup, the view window and the extremely long drain hose. The only negative is that the cup is difficult to remove when you need to clean it.

DanH86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To the people with a 250 v3 sump and a rsk300 skimmer - did you have to raise the skimmer? The water level in my skimmer chamber is about 1-1.5 inches higher than the ‘water line’ sticker on the skimmer. If I try and lower the water level using the adjustable baffle before the return pump chamber, the return chamber gets over filled..pics would be helpful if possible so I can try and judge how others are set up!

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw it dang it 400$ but bad review

If Apple made a skimmer, it would look, operate, and be as reliable as the Nyos Skimmer. Their pumps alone are miraculously reliable. I have purchased probably 50 pumps over the years for variuous applications and they all suck (with the exception of the Vectra). I have yet to experience one issue with the Nyos skimmer pumps. The rest of this apparatus is acrylic and doesn't have many moving parts... (I own one of each type of their skimmers due to tank upgrades). Not sure what you're looking for in a skimmer, but I can't imagine there being a better one out there.

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If Apple made a skimmer, it would look, operate, and be as reliable as the Nyos Skimmer. Their pumps alone are miraculously reliable. I have purchased probably 50 pumps over the years for variuous applications and they all suck (with the exception of the Vectra). I have yet to experience one issue with the Nyos skimmer pumps. The rest of this apparatus is acrylic and doesn't have many moving parts... (I own one of each type of their skimmers due to tank upgrades). Not sure what you're looking for in a skimmer, but I can't imagine there being a better one out there.

Hopefully you have sold some of those 50 pumps on R2R. ;)

DeanoT88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To the people with a 250 v3 sump and a rsk300 skimmer - did you have to raise the skimmer? The water level in my skimmer chamber is about 1-1.5 inches higher than the ‘water line’ sticker on the skimmer. If I try and lower the water level using the adjustable baffle before the return pump chamber, the return chamber gets over filled..pics would be helpful if possible so I can try and judge how others are set up!

Dan, I'm running this in my reefer 250 V3 sump. I have this placed on the sump floor and haven't had to raise it. The water level is above the suggested but I haven't had any major issues. What I did have to do is watch and adjust the skimmer over time to get it running at a correct level. It would overflow on occasions. I haven't bothered to raise it as of yet but interested to see if raising it and getting the water at the correct level effects performance in a positive way. See attached pictures.

IMG_20191101_094509.jpg IMG_20191101_094526.jpg IMG_20191101_094536.jpg

DanH86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheers Dean. I raised mine by 1.5 inches in the end. It became more controllable on the amount of skimmate collected, though it has only ever been a yellow water, not the brown gunk that others seem to collect - that could be down to running at 0ppm phosphate, 2ppm nitrate though?

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheers Dean. I raised mine by 1.5 inches in the end. It became more controllable on the amount of skimmate collected, though it has only ever been a yellow water, not the brown gunk that others seem to collect - that could be down to running at 0ppm phosphate, 2ppm nitrate though?

Dan, my RSK-300 is also raised 1.5 inches and I have a combination of both dark yellow water and brown gunk. As you can see in the pictures the water level in the main section of the V3 sump is right in the middle of the red label that Red Sea puts on the pole for the control knob.

IMG_1636.jpeg

IMG_1637.jpeg

DeanoT88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dan, how high are you setting your skim at? I find on mine if I set the bubbles too high I got a light coloured wet skim! I've lowered mine a touch so it's more of a bubbly dry skim and over time this pulls out a darker thicker skimate that is dark green/brown! If your tank is running very clean then this would also contribute to your skimmer not pulling out as much ****!

Dan, my RSK-300 is also raised 1.5 inches and I have a combination of both dark yellow water and brown gunk. As you can see in the pictures the water level in the main section of the V3 sump is right in the middle of the red label that Red Sea puts on the pole for the control knob.

IMG_1636.jpeg

IMG_1637.jpeg

Looks good to me!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back