Skimmer for a heavy stocked 90g-ish tank.

Aquajan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I ame thinking about buying a new Skimmer.
I currently have a deltec Sc1351)
(rated for 50g heavy stocked) with the new dcc2 sine wave pump but it runs quite inconsistent.
Specially after I fully cleaned it 2 weeks ago.. before cleaning it was running at 100% but now it starts to overflow at 80% even when I turn the water level in the skimmer at its lowest.
I have what I think is a very high bioload so a lack of protine in the water seems unlikely.

I have an 75g dt 12g sump and 5g refugium.

Filtration is:
Rollermat compact.
5g refugium with cheatomorpha and ai fuge on 50% 8hr full 2hr ramp.
Zeovit reactor (running zeovit method with Triton other methods addatives.
And the deltec skimmer

Th fish are:
1x yellow tang
1x Cole tang
5x wrasse ( coris-melanurus-flasher-2x cirrhilabrus
3x chromis
1x fridmani
1x salarias
2x clown
3xpeppermint shrimp
Hermids
Snails

I have a few sps medium colonys and some lps medium colonys and a bunch of lps and sps frags.

I am looking for a set it and forget it skimmer that skims well and consistent and fits a 12x12'' footprint.

I was looking at the bubble king 160 mini or dubble cone 150 but I don't now for shure if they be worth the big buck's..
I was also looking at a reef octopus Regal but those are starting at 100g heavy bioload.
The elite are in the same price range as the bubble king (atleast here in the EU).

Does any one has some tips thoughts about this?

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t be concerned about using a skimmer rated for 100 gallon in a 92 gallon system. I run reef octopus skimmers in two of my tanks and have been happy with them (1 is 8 years old and the other is 7). My only downside has been having to replace the pumps more often than I think I should. It I believe the regal uses a different pump.

OP
OP
Aquajan

Aquajan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I wouldn't be conserned about putting a Skimmer rated for 100g on a 90g tank but when I take the fleece filter in consideration it might be a bit to mutch...
I notice a big increase in skimmate when the fleece filter is gone trough it's roll and I don't replace it immediately.
So It seems to me that a fleece filter should be taken in consideration when picking a protine Skimmer so it is not to big.
I really want it to be consistent without messing with it all the time.
I was mainly looking at the Regal becouse I read good things about them and the Regal 150 int is about 230 euos cheaper than the mini.
Altough deltec is also a good brand for Skimmers as far as I know and despite the good name it does not work as good as I would like.

That's why I was looking at the bubble king mini 160 witch is rated for a 70g heavy stocked tank and is set and forget.
And ofcourse BBK has the name to be the best but I wonder if that's just becous of the heavy quality build or
if it actually outperforms other top notch skimmers.

I would really like to get my No3 and Po4 (0.03 now) in check and mainly No3 tends to just never get below 4 and always hover between 4 and 8.
And those numbers are not bad I know..
But it was 5 before I added the fuge and despite the cheato grows the No3 won't really budge.
And a specially for a zeovit tank not reaching near 0 No3 seems weird to me.
I would really be able to somewhat control No3 with the Skimmer by increase or decrease the skimmate production.

So would u guys put the Regal 150 int in a tank like mine with the fleece filter, zeovit and fuge?
And would you think it would be consistent and free of frequent tweeking?

Or would you maby suggest an other Skimmer?
Or just keep the deltec and do something to inprove the skimmate production somehow?

OP
OP
Aquajan

Aquajan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW I don't want to achieve dubble zeros, just a nitrate of 0.5-2 and the Po4 is fine as it is now as it hovers between 0.01 and 0.03.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back