Skimmer going crazy during Blackout period

JediCruz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m on my 2nd day of the 3 day blackout period to knock back most of the GHA that has taken hold (long story to that) and my skimmer has gone nuts during random parts of the day. For most people this is not a huge deal but I have a HOB skimmer so that means water on the floor. My wife isn’t happy right now. Before you ask, yes, I am saving up to get a bigger sump to accommodate a skimmer and yes, I will be saving up for a skimmer in that sump. So any idea why this keeps happening? Seems like it goes nuts at random. I even set the water level lower in the skimmer with the hope that it wouldn’t over flow but it doesn’t help. Any idea what is causing this craziness?

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be because of the blackout, and the die off of the algae periodically causes the skimmer to overflow as it try’s to get rid of it. You can change the water level in the skimmer, as you said you already have, or reduce the flow of water in the skimmer as well. If you have the ability, you can also adjust the flow of air in the skimmer.

Also, did you add anything like ReefFlux, as they recommend turning off you skimmer.

OP
OP
JediCruz

JediCruz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be because of the blackout, and the die off of the algae periodically causes the skimmer to overflow as it try’s to get rid of it. You can change the water level in the skimmer, as you said you already have, or reduce the flow of water in the skimmer as well. If you have the ability, you can also adjust the flow of air in the skimmer.

Also, did you add anything like ReefFlux, as they recommend turning off you skimmer.
No, no ReefFlux. Nothing new added. Just the blackout. It’s a BubbleMagus E5. There’s a pipe to adjust the water level and a valve to control the air. I noticed that when I adjust the air the water level goes up. I’ll adjust the air and lower the water level. Hopefully that works.

Operator Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your algae is dying off and your skimmer is attempting to remove the particulates. I bet if you tested your nutrients right now, they'd be all sorts of out of wack. Take your skimmer offline for a bit and do 1 or 2 large water changes after your blackout period. This will lower the amount of particulates in the water and reduce the chances of your skimmer going crazy.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drill a small hole in the collection cup to put a small hose into it, 1/2", 3/8", or 1/4". Insert the hose and seal it with hot glue or any other method. With the hose in the collection cup, run the hose down to a bucket with a water leak alarm to tell you when the bucket is near full. this is what I did when I was in your situation. You will never have to empty your cup again, just monitor and empty bucket.

OP
OP
JediCruz

JediCruz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drill a small hole in the collection cup to put a small hose into it, 1/2", 3/8", or 1/4". Insert the hose and seal it with hot glue or any other method. With the hose in the collection cup, run the hose down to a bucket with a water leak alarm to tell you when the bucket is near full. this is what I did when I was in your situation. You will never have to empty your cup again, just monitor and empty bucket.
There’s already a drain setup but what’s happening is that when it starts to go crazy, water fills the cup faster than it can drain so that won’t help.

OP
OP
JediCruz

JediCruz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your algae is dying off and your skimmer is attempting to remove the particulates. I bet if you tested your nutrients right now, they'd be all sorts of out of wack. Take your skimmer offline for a bit and do 1 or 2 large water changes after your blackout period. This will lower the amount of particulates in the water and reduce the chances of your skimmer going crazy.
So I just did a quick check on the Nitrates with a test strip (I’m working atm so I didn’t get a chance to do my normal test) and it looks like it’s still at 0 (could be zero but also be 20 ppm…. It’s not a good test below 20ppm) but I’ll verify it later with my regular test kit.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carefully drill the Cup 1/2” from the top. Use a piece of Rigid tubing, in the hole, and attach your skimmer air intake hose to that. When the skimmer starts to overflow, the skimmer action will be halted till the foam dies down. Also this will keep any smells down from the skimmer cup. For your new skimmer and sump, I am suggesting you get a LifeReef. Get the minimum of a Skimmer, if you decide to not go with the sump. I’ve lost count of how many skimmers I’ve had in the past, the LifeReef is by far the best.

OP
OP
JediCruz

JediCruz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here’s my nitrates. Still looks like 0 to me:
7960B7C8-BD61-4A0F-B6CD-951EC2AA2FF0.jpeg

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uh, Oh; here we go with the upcoming bashing of API Kits. BTW I’ve had my water professionally tested, and it matched every one of API’s tests

OP
OP
JediCruz

JediCruz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uh, Oh; here we go with the upcoming bashing of API Kits. BTW I’ve had my water professionally tested, and it matched every one of API’s tests
Yeah, when my Nitrates were at 50-60 ppm (which was rather recently…. See my build thread for more info) that was the kit that gave me that info. Now that it’s about 0 (yes I’ll need to get a ULM or LM kit to see where it’s at if I keep it that way) I’ll trust it for now.

OP
OP
JediCruz

JediCruz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carefully drill the Cup 1/2” from the top. Use a piece of Rigid tubing, in the hole, and attach your skimmer air intake hose to that. When the skimmer starts to overflow, the skimmer action will be halted till the foam dies down. Also this will keep any smells down from the skimmer cup. For your new skimmer and sump, I am suggesting you get a LifeReef. Get the minimum of a Skimmer, if you decide to not go with the sump. I’ve lost count of how many skimmers I’ve had in the past, the LifeReef is by far the best.
This is how the skimmer is setup right now. Not sure this would do much since there’s already a hole where the are come’s in.
7847950B-7A2F-4F08-9206-C9F4EDB09902.jpeg

OP
OP
JediCruz

JediCruz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I took a peak at the tank today and it still looks like all the algae is still there. Granted it’s only halfway through the 3 days, I wonder what changes in the next 1.5 days. Anyone else with experience that could enlighten me?

OP
OP
JediCruz

JediCruz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here’s my tank after the blackout. Not perfect and I wasn’t expecting it to be. Hopefully now the the herbivores will take care of rest. Maybe I’ll do another 3 days in a feed weeks if there’s not change by then (or worse). A couple of observations:

1. The algae does look weaker and lighter.
2. Pandora, Halle Berry and another zoa I don’t remember the name of no longer have the brown and look way more pinkish.
3. There are copepods galore on the glass right now. I asume the clowns and sixline wrasse will take them out again in time.
1928CABE-AE2E-4C81-9017-61E64C3A1455.jpeg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.3%
Back