Skimmer help please

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had my skimmer set up for a little over a month. For the first two week it was overflowing so I opened it all the way, took the lid off and pulled the plug and just let it go. After about two weeks it seemed to claim down so I turned it down put the lid on and plug in and it started to fill with gross brown goo. It took about a week to fill and I’d empty it out. On Friday I did a water change and ever since then it been overflowing again. I don’t think the volume in the sump changed.

What can I do to get it back to working?

Will it do this every water change?

Did I mess something up?

Also I don’t know if this is connected but after my water change I have a lot of particles floating around in my DT. I don’t know if they are bubbles or sand... or idk what else it could be.

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you cut power a lot of skimmers, esp new ones, they ramp up for the 1st 5 min before settling down. Keep the skimmer dialed all the way down for the first 5-10 min after you power it back on and see if that helps. Mine still does it a year later. Making sure the sump level is the same will also save you frustration. Draw a line on your sump and keep the water level the same so you can eliminate that as a factor. Water additives will also make your slimmer go nuts. If you are treating with any medicine, algae cures, or putting additives in, these can all affect your skimmer.

the particles can be just small grain sand and detritus kicked up by the water change as well as undisolved salt. The alternative is they are air bubbles produced by the skimmer but if it’s been running and you didn’t notice them before, it’s probably just from the water change.

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I thought, but it’s been 4 days and it’s still going crazy, I have it all the way down. Like I said I think the water level hasn’t changed because I have an ATO with a float switch and it’s working properly.

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look at other factors. Are you using additives in the tank? When you did a water change, did you use rodi? Where did you get the water? Did you add anything else to the tank when you did the water change? Are you using new filter socks or ones you recently washed?

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No additives. I use RODI water that I make myself. I put some soft corals in the tank two weeks ago and cleaned my filter sock then. I’ve done other water changes before this and the skimmer didn’t have a problem.

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had my skimmer set up for a little over a month. For the first two week it was overflowing so I opened it all the way, took the lid off and pulled the plug and just let it go. After about two weeks it seemed to claim down so I turned it down put the lid on and plug in and it started to fill with gross brown goo. It took about a week to fill and I’d empty it out. On Friday I did a water change and ever since then it been overflowing again. I don’t think the volume in the sump changed.

What can I do to get it back to working?

Will it do this every water change?

Did I mess something up?

Also I don’t know if this is connected but after my water change I have a lot of particles floating around in my DT. I don’t know if they are bubbles or sand... or idk what else it could be.
my skimmer always trippin too lol. I’m starting to learn what sets it off tho and you prolly will learn yours after a while too. They’re “sensitive”. Phytoplankton sets mine off for sure. And even when dosing calc alk and mag sometimes it’ll go nuts. That’s the only good thing about auto dosing in small increments throughout the day, it won’t make your skimmer go crazy.

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t started dosing my tank yet. As it’s softies I just rely on water changes. Although, now that I’m thinking about, I did add in some Seachem Trace last water change. That was the first time I did it... and I haven’t done it since as I forgot all about it. I wonder if that’s why it’s freaking out. Again though I’m on day 5 after water change and it’s still filling in 2mins and overflowing

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of skimmer is it? Can you share a picture of it in your sump? Lots of additives will make your skimmer overflow but not for days on end.

Jeff Jarry reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t started dosing my tank yet. As it’s softies I just rely on water changes. Although, now that I’m thinking about, I did add in some Seachem Trace last water change. That was the first time I did it... and I haven’t done it since as I forgot all about it. I wonder if that’s why it’s freaking out. Again though I’m on day 5 after water change and it’s still filling in 2mins and overflowing
[/QUOT
Does your skimmer cup have place to connect a drain hose if so I would do that and put run hose in a five gallon bucket. And let it do it's thing. Keep plenty of fresh salt water and add as needed. So your ATO don't bring salt levels down. This has worked for me. Hope this helps

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of skimmer is it? Can you share a picture of it in your sump? Lots of additives will make your skimmer overflow but not for days on end.

tank (2).jpg

I have the Reef Octopus ESSENCE S-130.

And also useing putty or glue the place corals can make it act up too. And carbon

I've had my corals on a rack but I started moving them to rocks and using putty to hold them, and I also glued one of my rock towers after I notice it wasn't held together very well. I do run carbon, but I have had that the whole time... however, I did just switch it out for new.

Did I maybe do too many things at once and that's why is freaking out?

Jeff Jarry reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tank (2).jpg

I have the Reef Octopus ESSENCE S-130.

I've had my corals on a rack but I started moving them to rocks and using putty to hold them, and I also glued one of my rock towers after I notice it wasn't held together very well. I do run carbon, but I have had that the whole time... however, I did just switch it out for new.

Did I maybe do too many things at once and that's why is freaking out?
That's probably what's causing this. It will have to run its course.

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same skimmer. When I first got it. It did the same thing. After a sufficient break in period I built a little stand for it. Mine is in about 7 inches of water. I've found mine to work the best at that depth.

Barrett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe Billy pipes actually found that his Essence 130 works best in about 5 1/4 inches of water

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others have pointed out water Level in your sump may be a little to deep for it.. you may also be able to stop the overflow by opening the exhaust valve a little more (yellow arrow), typically you use this valve to set the water level inside your skimmer.. you want to adjust so the water level is at the bottom of the skimmer cups riser tube.

8B9ECF98-55D3-4B54-9510-17965F7B73D0.jpeg

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You just have to find that sweet spot. You might have to add something underneath it to raise it up out the water more. That’s what I had to do. I put mine on a little stand to raise it 4” higher. When you first turn it on, U want the bubbles to sit right at the neck(pretty much if you take off the collection cup they sit just under the top so that they don’t overflow. Play with different heights. Once you find that sweet spot then it won’t be trippin as much.

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All, Thanks for your input. I had thought about raising it up last night, the only thing that held me back was that it was working fine for the last two weeks.

U want the bubbles to sit right at the neck(pretty much if you take off the collection cup they sit just under the top so that they don’t overflow.

So if you look at my picture the cup comes off right where the red neck is. Do I not want the bubbles to be going up that pipe? How does all the crud stuff get into the cup?

Jeff Jarry reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All, Thanks for your input. I had thought about raising it up last night, the only thing that held me back was that it was working fine for the last two weeks.

So if you look at my picture the cup comes off right where the red neck is. Do I not want the bubbles to be going up that pipe? How does all the crud stuff get into the cup?
It's best to get bubbles at base of cup. There's is dry skim and wet skim. Dry is when crude build's in the neck of cup and wet is when crude gets in cup.

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back