Skimmer Help

AlexDm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I setup my tank - return pump , sand , water , rocks .... Having really trouble with the skimmer .... how do I get it set up properly there are no guidelines anywhere!!!

Do I have to lift it ? is it too deep? too much pump lower pump power ? More air ? idk what to do here are some pictures: Also Skimz SN143 Monzter Mini Protein skimmer ....

The picture is it when turned off, when it's turned on bubbles rise to cup and start filling with water way too rapidly

Image1484455606.168482.jpg

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The manual mentions......7 to 9.4 inches!!! Or should I say 180 to 240 mm.

HERE's the installation guidelines.

OP
OP
AlexDm

AlexDm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The manual mentions......7 to 9.4 inches!!! Or should I say 180 to 240 mm.

HERE's the installation guidelines.

If your stand allows you may need to raise the skimmer. Also, new skimmers typically has a break-in period.

You sit on something. Most use egg crate plastic. Just move it up until it works better. If it's a new skimmer it could take a couple of weeks or more to break in.

Okay thank you guys so what's the difference between wet skimming and dry skimming ? Also to break it in I just gotta let it run for a week until it's good?

Last edited:

PJS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay thank you guys so what's the difference between wet skimming and dry skimming ? Also to break it in I just gotta let it run for a week until it's good?
In short, Wet skimming is having the water level within the skimmer body at a higher level, dry skimming is just the opposite allowing the foam little more dwell time in the skimmer neck.
As far as break-in goes, it really depends on the skimmer and setup as to how long it takes to break-in, I've read some skimmers have only taken a day or two and others have taken several weeks or more.

OP
OP
AlexDm

AlexDm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In short, Wet skimming is having the water level within the skimmer body at a higher level, dry skimming is just the opposite allowing the foam little more dwell time in the skimmer neck.

Okay awesome thank you ! which do you prefer / recommend ?

PJS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay awesome thank you ! which do you prefer / recommend ?
No problem, you are welcome!
Well it really depends, some do wet skimming which allows for a somewhat constant water change. A waste collector connected to your skimmer cup would help with wet skimming, to help avoid the cup overflowing. I have a waste collector on my setup but prefer to run the skimmer on the dry side, it pulls out a darker, more concentrated skimmate (more dissolved organics). Once your system is up and running for a while and you have a consistent bioload you'll find your skimmers sweet spot.

OP
OP
AlexDm

AlexDm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem, you are welcome!
Well it really depends, some do wet skimming which allows for a somewhat constant water change. A waste collector connected to your skimmer cup would help with wet skimming, to help avoid the cup overflowing. I have a waste collector on my setup but prefer to run the skimmer on the dry side, it pulls out a darker, more concentrated skimmate (more dissolved organics). Once your system is up and running for a while and you have a consistent bioload you'll find your skimmers sweet spot.

Okay to break it in? I just run the skimmer full power no tune just let overflow etc ?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back