Skimmer post CHEMICLEAN

Kydnblue2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All, I know my skimmer is supposed to over flow and go crazy while using CHEMICLEAN. I dosed twice and did 2 20%water changes. My question is to see if there is a way to get skimmer back to normal quicker? Or just let it run it’s course? Also my filter socks clog 10 times quicker now since CHEMICLEAN. Is that normal? Please help

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, you have to let it run its course. I throttle back my skimmer as much as possible and steadily build up from from there. If you throttled it all the way back and it still overflows, then you can remove the collection cup and start from there. Chemiclean will also kill other forms of algae, and thus clog up the socks quicker for a little while. It will return back to normal when the water has been filtered thru enough times.

Last edited:

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do the berserk option. I dial up the skimmer In hopes of runaway skimming. When the cup fills, I turn off the skimmer and empty the cup. I repeat until the skimming slows down. Then I dial back the skimmer and that usually settles things.

Since I am removing salt water from the system, I add seawater to replace what I am removing.

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you dose twice in a row? How long between doses and how long since last dose? Did you run skimmer or airstones during treatments?

OP
OP
K

Kydnblue2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I dosed twice in a row. 1st dose waited 48 hrs then doses again. Today is day 2 after the 48 hrs. I ran skimmer whole time

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I spent an entire Saturday and did a water change thru my skimmer. I put my skimmer drain line into an empty 5 gallon bucket and I my ATO pump in a full clean fresh 5 gallon salt mix .

As the skimmer junk emptied into the waste bucket the ATO pulled in fresh mix. Spent most of the Saturday on my 180. But did a water change, only had to get up every so often to drain and fill buckets, and resolved the problem.

Shufflepig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My skimmer took 12 days to return to normal. But it did finally settle down and the chemiclean worked as advertised.

OP
OP
K

Kydnblue2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why did you dose twice after 48 hours? Was it someone's instructions on this site?
No one on site Alfa said if it’s not gone after 1st dose that I can do 2nd dose. I have a water box 220 and he said due to size of tank it might need 2nd dose

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ya like everyone above stated It takes a bit . I did 2 20% water changes 5 days apart , then threw carbon in a sock 3 days later it was fine . It takes a bit sometimes. Just let the skimmer overflow back in tank for aeration

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back