Skimmer pump stuck on and ideas for removal?

Greenstarfish03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefoctopus that I have had for many years. Works good no issue until I went to unscrew the grey fitting to disconnect the pump so I could clean it and it won't budge. It doesn't look cross threaded but it may be. I have unscrewed this 1000s of times without issue. I tried Chanel locks and it won't move. I don't want to break anything. Any bright ideas on how to separate the pump from the skimmer. I'll attach pic.

OP
OP
Greenstarfish03

Greenstarfish03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefoctopus that I have had for many years. Works good no issue until I went to unscrew the grey fitting to disconnect the pump so I could clean it and it won't budge. It doesn't look cross threaded but it may be. I have unscrewed this 1000s of times without issue. I tried Chanel locks and it won't move. I don't want to break anything. Any bright ideas on how to separate the pump from the skimmer. I'll attach pic.
16268289116774462896186774865823.jpg

chiefifd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try a citric acid soak over night. or
Sometimes a quick sharp tap on the handle of the channel locks might "Shock" it loose. "Might break it too".
But it does work with rusted screws and bolts.... sometimes.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,two pair channel ,gently crack loose union.
careful not to squeeze black nozzle,just hold... :)

OP
OP
Greenstarfish03

Greenstarfish03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soaking it in vinegar may help
I have it soaking in vinegar tonight and then I will try again tomorrow. There has to be some sand in there or something bc I just hand tightened that thing like 2 weeks ago. I tried two pair of Chanel locks tonight but I didn't want to break it so I took it easy.

jwilliams860

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So far no but I was worried about breaking the pump so took it pretty easy.
I'd give it a go. As long as you keep it even on both pliers and the pressure isn't at the connection to the skimmer body they should come loose.

Or cash you clean what you need to with a tooth brush and just leave it connected?

OP
OP
Greenstarfish03

Greenstarfish03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd give it a go. As long as you keep it even on both pliers and the pressure isn't at the connection to the skimmer body they should come loose.

Or cash you clean what you need to with a tooth brush and just leave it connected?
Leaving it connected is what my wife suggested. I probably can. It just irritates me thatI can't get it off. The union swivels so attaching it there make it easy to position the pump. If that is fixed the pump will be at a weird angle but if all else fails that may be where it ends up unless I break it of course.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a job where we used to use steel unions, and we would have to beat on them with hammers so they would break loose, sometimes we would destroy everything because they would not come loose, by removing it you take away the chance of breaking the skimmer body. you can soak it easier and work on it easier.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back