Skimmer pump wattage according to your Apex?

Urtie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
I made a separate post about my Bubble Magus Curve 7 skimmer (on my 120g tank) using 69-71 watts despite the pump label saying 22 watts (SP2000 pump). So I'm considering a different pump or even a different skimmer.

I'm curious how other skimmers measure up on your Apex (or other controller). So what skimmer are you using, how much power are they rated for, and how much do they actually draw? Thanks!
--Kyle

If your Apex is right, that pump is experiencing a lot of friction. I suggest verifying the power draw with another meter asap, because it could be releasing particles into your tank right now.

OP
OP
kyley

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your Apex is right, that pump is experiencing a lot of friction. I suggest verifying the power draw with another meter asap, because it could be releasing particles into your tank right now.

Could be, however, the Curve 5 skimmer I tested (and someone else tested) also draw way more wattage than the label shows (40+ watts vs 18 on the label). So it seems like their pumps are just horribly inefficient and their label is a lie. :(

Urtie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be, however, the Curve 5 skimmer I tested (and someone else tested) also draw way more wattage than the label shows (40+ watts vs 18 on the label). So it seems like their pumps are just horribly inefficient and their label is a lie. :(

I hope you're right. Thinking about it, the rating is surely for water only, and mixing with air will make the pump speed up, drawing more power. 3 times over the rating does still seem like a lot though.

OP
OP
kyley

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope you're right. Thinking about it, the rating is surely for water only, and mixing with air will make the pump speed up, drawing more power. 3 times over the rating does still seem like a lot though.

And that's probably why a lot of skimmer pumps (according to this thread and the other one I started) seem to run well over their power ratings. But the Bubble Magus pumps seem to be doing this to greater extremes. :-( Thanks,
--Kyle

Urtie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And that's probably why a lot of skimmer pumps (according to this thread and the other one I started) seem to run well over their power ratings. But the Bubble Magus pumps seem to be doing this to greater extremes. :-( Thanks,
--Kyle

The product pages I look at seem to say that the Curve 7 has a SP1000 pump? Has yours been upgraded?

Also, the Red Sea RSK-900, which seemed comparable in size, is listed as drawing 60 watts, which isn't that far off.

OP
OP
kyley

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The product pages I look at seem to say that the Curve 7 has a SP1000 pump? Has yours been upgraded?

Also, the Red Sea RSK-900, which seemed comparable in size, is listed as drawing 60 watts, which isn't that far off.

Hmm, I just looked at several sites selling the Curve 7 and all listed it as coming with the SP2000. I think that's the one for the Curve 5?

I think that skimmer is much bigger (maybe comparable to the Curve 9). Actually, after looking at their line of skimmers, it turns out the RSK-300 uses the same Sicce PSK-600 pump that is in the "upgraded" version of the Curve 7 (the Elite model). I'm thinking about getting that pump. Thanks,
--Kyle

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NYOS Quantum 120 states 8w, Apex has it at 25w.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes! 25 watts isn't bad, but yours is the only one (other than mine) that I've seen using 3x or more of the stated power! :(
I sent them a message, we’ll see what happens. It does pull a lot with minimal fussing on adjustments.

Rick_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just installed a new Nyos Quantom 160, and Apex is reading a pump draw of 48-53W. That is a lot more than the expected 18W. Do I have a defective pump?

OP
OP
kyley

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just installed a new Nyos Quantom 160, and Apex is reading a pump draw of 48-53W. That is a lot more than the expected 18W. Do I have a defective pump?

No, apparently a lot of pumps just understate the wattage. :-( It seems to be consistent with Bubble Magus pumps. I did replace mine with the Sicce PSK600 and it now reads just 25 watts (rated at 28) while my Bubble Magus was pulling 69-71 (rated at 22). You could look for more efficient pumps (the Sicce ones are) that would for your skimmer. Good luck,
--Kyle

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regal 250int with Varios-6 pump(BRS-sku-210207) Fulls size NOT the space saver.

Manufacture states 35-70w

I am running @100%...apex says...64w

24E8E209-BD09-4F4F-B657-78DBE9126EE9.png

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The power draw from a needle wheel skimmer pump is going to vary a lot depending on the amount of air and water draw. The more air and less water, the lower the power. It is not as straight forward as a water pump. I suspect this has a lot to do with these discrepancies. Some skimmer manufacturers may be taking advantage of this with their claims.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont have an apex but a profilux which gives in amps not watts.

Eshopps X-160 rated at 14w measuring 24 if I converted correctly.

Rick_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to purchase a Kill a Watt P3 outlet meter to verify the 50W reading I was getting on my EB832 of my Nyos Quantum 160. The Kill a Watt meter is reading around 19W, which is really close to the expected 18W rating. So, I decided to check the wattage of my other equipment, and for some reason the skimmer pump is the only piece of equipment where the EB832 wattage value is way different compared to the Kill a Watt meter. :confused:

nitrodude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Its actually the opposite. The more air introduced the less wattage.

That being said-OP, clean your pump, make sure theres no degree in the needlewheel and venturing intake/air tube. Any air restriction will cause higher wattage.

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quick an easy way to check that theory would be to block the air intake for the skimmer so it's only getting water then see if the wattage changes.

Edit - just checked my skimmer. It uses a Sicce SK200 rated at 0.4A. Apex has it pulling 0.3A.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back