Skimmer Recommendation for 185 gallon

Mono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
185 gallon actual system volume (125g display, 40g frag, 20g refugium, 55g sump).

I've been running a Vertex 200i for the past several years.

Short story long, about 6 months ago I started dosing Kalkwasser and have been fighting with my skimmer ever since.

It just won't dial in and overflows constantly no matter what I do.

I added a ball valve on the airline. No real help.

It's sitting at 7.5" depth. I was thinking that reducing the depth might help BUT I would have to replace my sump.

I wouldn't mind doing that (have the tank on hand, etc) if I was certain that it would solve the problem.

But I realize, I could go through with putting together a new sump, swapping it out and still end up with the same problem.

So, if you have any ideas or suggestions, they are certainly welcome...

OR I could just buy a new dang skimmer and move on.

I was thinking of going with a DC skimmer to avoid any future issues.

Any recommendations on a good skimmer?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
185 gallon actual system volume (125g display, 40g frag, 20g refugium, 55g sump).

I've been running a Vertex 200i for the past several years.

Short story long, about 6 months ago I started dosing Kalkwasser and have been fighting with my skimmer ever since.

It just won't dial in and overflows constantly no matter what I do.

I added a ball valve on the airline. No real help.

It's sitting at 7.5" depth. I was thinking that reducing the depth might help BUT I would have to replace my sump.

I wouldn't mind doing that (have the tank on hand, etc) if I was certain that it would solve the problem.

But I realize, I could go through with putting together a new sump, swapping it out and still end up with the same problem.

So, if you have any ideas or suggestions, they are certainly welcome...

OR I could just buy a new dang skimmer and move on.

I was thinking of going with a DC skimmer to avoid any future issues.

Any recommendations on a good skimmer?
You simply build a skimmer stand which would elevate the skimmer and reduce the water depth. Simple build would be egg crate zip tied together into a box/platform.

OP
OP
M

Mono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You simply build a skimmer stand which would elevate the skimmer and reduce the water depth. Simple build would be egg crate zip tied together into a box/platform.
I'm already at the bottom of the display tank, so I can't go any higher. I would have to remove the sump and change the glass partitions. I'm already within the 200i's range at 7.5" and I would do it if I was more certain it would work.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 reef octo

OP
OP
M

Mono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I"m looking at the Octo and then when I look at the $ I'm thinking maybe I'll try a sump rebuild. Not sure yet.

OP
OP
M

Mono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I went with upgrading my skimmer and bought the Reef Octopus Elite 200 INT w/an adjustable DC pump.

Initial impressions: I should have done this years ago.

My old skimmer worked well for several years but as my reefing practices changed my skimmer just didn't keep up.

For example, my water chemistry and bio-load has definitely changed over the years. In the past I ran ozone. I no longer do. About 6 months ago I started dosing Kalkwasser. And so on. For whatever reason over the past year my skimmer became extremely temperamental and often overflowed or if I limited the airflow with a ball valve on the air line it created micro bubbles. Both of these issues are a super PITA. Why overflows are I hope is self-explanatory. There's nothing I love more than the 2:00 AM beeping of my ATO.

But I think it's worth an extra mention that anytime a reefer sees a bubble they should be afraid, very afraid, not just because it might harm fish. When bubbles pop they spew salt spray into the air which will end up somewhere you don't want. It's amazing how much salt spray can build up over a few weeks.

Short story long, the RO Elite 200 INT is just fantastic. Looks great. Build quality is super. The standpipe turns extremely smoothly. The fit and finish of the parts are excellent. The inclusion of the float switch is great especially if you travel! It runs super smooth and quiet. The footprint just fit into my standard sized 55g sump. I have it running at 3/5 and the first day and it seems to skimming well. The fact that you have multiple pump speeds and can adjust to future changes in chemistry and bio-load is just amazing.

So far, so glad I shelled out the dough and made the switch. My reefing life just got a lot better.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back