Skimmer recommendation for 50 gallon tank

cyberCoder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

I have been thinking to fine tune the new tank ( about 10 months now ). One of the components I am thinking to change is Vertex Omega 150. It doesn't seem to be pulling a lot ( could be oversized , or i just don't have much bioload etc). I have been thinking to try Tunze DOC Skimmer 9004 or Tunze Comline Skimmer 9012.

The other factor is that I like how small they are and save some more space in the sump.

Is the 9004 too small? Do you think it really matters to change from Vertex to this Tunze?

Nick30G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Reef Octopus 110sss on my 40g system which is good for 40 gallons heavy-bioload load. When it comes down to selecting a skimmer, you want a skimmer that is the right bioload size for your tank. Do not oversize your skimmer, as you will have problems with it skimming un consistently or not all. It is better to have a undersized skimmer then a oversized one. The second biggest factor would be the footprint of the skimmer. How much space can I allocate to my skimmer to fit comfortably in your sump should be a question you ask your self as well.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 18 25.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back