skimmer runtime

DS5000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RS 170 50 gal
clownfish x2, blenny, royal gramma and a goby.

I am not sure if I need to run my skimmer continuously vs maybe 6hrs/day? - as I do not have much organic load.

Is it recommended to run the skimmer 24/7?
My skimmer is a bit overkill for my setup - its the Red Seal RSK 300 Internal Skimmer

thx

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have the same skimmer as you i run 24/7 my tank is bigger but i upgraded from 200xl and still ran 24/7 on that

Puffthefish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you run it 24 seven you reduce the risk of a spike and get the added benefit of aeration. I cannot think of a downside

BoxKing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experience with my RS XL200… if you turn on and off the skimmer throughout the day, you will end up lowering your salinity as it will throw off your ATO. You can test this theory by opening and closing the water flow valve drastically, and you will notice that your ATO chamber (return pump chamber) will raise and lower significantly. This will trigger and float switch or photo eye ATO setup, not so much of a big deal if youre using the the OEM ATO that came with the sump as this is a slow drip style- which I found unreliable.

PS I have a Jump400 and its very well oversized for my setup as well, but it works fine for my current bio load, and I have piece of mind that I wont outgrow it in this tank, and most likely not when I get the itch to double or triple in size.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RS 170 50 gal
clownfish x2, blenny, royal gramma and a goby.

I am not sure if I need to run my skimmer continuously vs maybe 6hrs/day? - as I do not have much organic load.

Is it recommended to run the skimmer 24/7?
My skimmer is a bit overkill for my setup - its the Red Seal RSK 300 Internal Skimmer

thx
Skimmers are sized in regard to how much water can be processed per unit of time. No matter how big the skimmer is, foam formation peters out once the amount of waste is reduced. Once that happens a giant or a tiny skimmer will just make bubbles and little or no foam. A bigger skimmer might get to this point sooner that all. As pointed out already, use the skimmer 24 hrs per day because it could boost the oxygen and possibly lower CO2 in the water.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back