Skimmer screw broke! New Skimmer ??

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I have Bubble Magus curve 7 skimmer and at the bottom as displayed in picture , there are hand tighten plastic screws that hold down the skimmer to the bottom plate. 2 of these broke!! And they are plastic. Do I need buy a new skimmer? Anyone replace these or have this experience ?? What did you use?

A740BED0-4B7D-4957-9696-011FB13276CE.jpeg
55D50182-F857-4E83-A472-3EBA2D071EF5.jpeg

jradishness

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pop it out, get some stainless screws, nuts and washers at the hardware store and be done

Agreed. Take off the bottom plate and take it and a screw to your local Ace or other hardware store. You may even be able to find a similar screw to what you have, but I’d go with the SS like Ta2 recommended. Just make sure to get screws of the same length, as they also serve as feet on that model.

OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Agreed. Take off the bottom plate and take it and a screw to your local Ace or other hardware store. You may even be able to find a similar screw to what you have, but I’d go with the SS like Ta2 recommended. Just make sure to get screws of the same length, as they also serve as feet on that model.
You don’t think the screws will rust

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Torque branded skimmer, think it is what is branded in the US as Jebao. The pump for this is also connected via 4 acrylic screws. What I have found is that these are metric thread screws, M6 specifically, and I was easily able to get some M6 bolts from my local big box hardware store to replace them - just had to cut them down in length and clean up the end with my tap and die set. These are a poly replacement, not acrylic, so not as stiff. Still do the job however.

I also busted a small acrylic metric screw in a float valve (M3x6) and was able to buy a packet of replacements for very little off eBay to replace it.

Stainless is good, but acrylic or poly is better. Stainless comes in various qualities and will eventually start to oxidise. Cheap ones may only last months. High quality stainless will last for years in a tank and I have some in mine - hose clamps. I keep an eye on them however. If I have the option between stainless and acrylic I will always choose acrylic as it will effectively last forever without issues. Can’t use acrylic in a hose clamp however due to lack of tensile strength.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazon sells them.. just nylon thumb screws.. I believe they’re 1/4” 20 thread. I wouldn’t use stainless.. to get the broken one out grab it with some vise grips and unscrew it.

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazon sells them.. just nylon thumb screws.. I believe they’re 1/4” 20 thread. I wouldn’t use stainless.. to get the broken one out grab it with some vise grips and unscrew it.
This. I just bought some M6 nylon bolts on Amazon yesterday to replace on one of my skimmer. They were $4 for a pack of 20 or so.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s surprising to see people in the hobby that don’t know stainless steel can and will rust.
Lack or knowledge no longer surprises me sadly. If you go stainless make sure it’s H1 or 316. Personally I would check the pitch and get a delrin one. At worst buy a cut off rod and run a die down it.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back