Skimmer Selection help

fishnerd1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm workong on a 210-245G build - tanks not yet ordered, and need some advise on skimmers. what's being used currently on larger tanks and why? I've been looking at the following, what do you think? I'm starting with FOWLR and will evolve into a mixed system. I'm expecting he bio load to be medium to high with the family wish lists growing FO part of the system. Want to avoid buying another in the future if possible. I don't see the BK being worth the $ so this is what I've seen so far:

SWC Xtreme 300A 300-500g depending on load
Octopus Extreme XS-350 up to 400g
Octopus Extreme XS-250 up to 250g
Super Octopus XP-3000 up to 300g
Vertex Gen II IN-280 up to 280
Vertex Gen 3 IN 250 150-250g depending on load
Vertex Alpha PS-A200 up to 300, ozone capable

Others I should be considering?

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Ocotpus Extreme on my 180 and I couldn't be happier. The build quality is good and after I switched out the Sicce pump for a bubble blaster, the thing is a beast. The SWC extreme skimmers are very similar to the octopus design, but I'm not really familiar with the Vertex skimmers. HTH

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why you say bk is not worth the money???? Fwiw bk and atb have big price tags for a reason every other skimmer or I should say copy cat is based of them.... They are worth the money hands down most solid and reliable skimmers out there... Don't get me wrong other skimmers perform well and get the job done but a bk is a bk and atb Is a atb.... Best in the business..;)

OP
OP
F

fishnerd1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the BK mini 200 the price premium is 40-80% more than these listed, BL delux 200 is > 100% price premium. I agree they are most likely the best but might want to take the savings and get a few other goodies. I'll do some research on the ATB's.

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATBs are pricey as well. They are amazing skimmers, but they come with a price tag that I can't swallow, unfortunately. Some day....

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your price range I'm guessing from the skimmers listed I Would go the xp3000 route octopus makes some great skimmers and they have the only pump really comparable to a askoll which is the bubble blaster... There awesome pumps..;)

caudill187

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the same shopping a few months back and decided on the Octopus.....haven't regretted it once.

CTMarinelife

CTmarinelife
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a R200-2 Warner Marine on my 240 with medium/high load, super quality and great customer service!

OP
OP
F

fishnerd1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody using a Bashsea Skimmer? Berlin style is interesting and locally made in Michigan is also an advantage. I understand they are working on a next generation, anybody got any details or know when they will be released for public sale?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 89 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back