Skimmer suggestion for biocube 32 with new Radion light and bracket

Floppyfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, looking for some protein skimmer suggestions for my 32 biocube. So, recently I upgraded the stock led hood to an Octoaquatics top with a new Radion Xr15 light and I ran into an issue with the mounting bracket for the light taking up more space than expected in the second chamber. I was using an intank media basket and a tunzi 9001 skimmer. Finally had that skimmer dialed in perfect until I had to remove it for the light bracket.
So now as we speak I have no skimmer. I’ve read over and over how poorly the coral life skimmer is for the first chamber. Anyone else have any other suggestions of what might work or what they’re using? I’ve done a little research so far and the aquamax hob 1.5 seems it may work or possibly an icecap and aquamax nano for the first chamber. I’d appreciate any input.
Here’s a pic of the space in the back now showing how the mounting bracket fits in the second chamber.
1595379318384.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Coral Vue ICECAP. . . . K-1 or K2-50. Works just like a full sized skimmer

OP
OP
Floppyfish

Floppyfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at those two and it looks like the K1 nano fits within the footprint of the first chamber. K-250 just a hair too large. Wish I would’ve seen this one first before I purchased the tunzi. Looks like I’ll even get better skimate.

OP
OP
Floppyfish

Floppyfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just updating, received the Icecap K-1 nano today. I looked at the footprint and measured the first chamber,I thought it may fit a little better. It’s a tight fit but I think it will work. Here’s a couple pics I took. It definitely has fine bubbles and should skim well.
1595964892862.jpeg

1595964967133.jpeg

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh I remember the bio cube days. I ran mine completely stock with bi weekly water changes. I grew more anemones then I knew what to do with. Never could grow sps but the lps and softies grew so fast I miss it.

OP
OP
Floppyfish

Floppyfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the verdict on the K1 nano? Did it work well?
Yep. It’s been working like a champ since I put it in. It has had its moments where it’s gotten a little louder than I want at times but a quick disassembly and cleaning seems to resolve that. I do like the skimmate a little dryer than it produces, but overall I’m happy with it. I’m sure that comes down to me fine tuning it again after I remove it and disassemble it for cleaning.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back