Skimmer too large?

TheDorkLord

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and thanks for looking,

I am starting a 75g with a 20g sump. I guestimate to have ~65g of water actually in the system (what with substrate, rock, water level, etc.). I ave seen where several people are using the Reef Octo 150 int on similar systems. I am not new to the hobby, but I am new to saltwater. I know myself well enough to know that I will, inevitably, have a, ahem... highly... stocked aquarium. I also tend to feed heavily ( 2 light automated and one heavier feeding in the evening). I know that this skimmer will, most likely, be a good fit when the tank is well stocked. From what I have seen, I am left with the impression that the skimmer might have issues until then. Particularly, that it either won't skim, or will skim inconsistently (or, more accurately, the former and then the latter as stocking/feeding increases). This leads me to believe that I would be much better off going with the Reef Octo 110 int, as it should start skimming sooner and more consistently. The problem is that I am worried about it not being able to handle the large load that will eventually occur. Of course, I don't want to have to buy more equipment than necessary. Is this the likely scenario? What will I (probably) be better off with? Should I just go with a DC skimmer (Simplicity 240DC, I'm looking at you)? Is there another skimmer that would fit the bill better?

Also looking at:
Bubble Magus Curve 5 Elite
SCA-302
Maybe a used Red Sea RSK-300 or Icecap k2-160

I should mention that I do have my eyes pretty firmly set of the Reef Octos. I do like the Idea of the 240DC and the fact that the owner is on the forums here. Also, I'm good with the re-branded Jebao pump, if I heard correctly on that one. I like the looks, pump and reviews of the Curve 5 Elite. I just don't know if it will handle my system adequately in the future (otherwise this would probably be my #1 choice). The SCA-302 seems to be a great value and has great reviews, but I don't like how the price has skyrocketed since it came out. The last two are out of my price range. I like what I have seen, but they would have to be used.

TLDR:
1. With a ~65g system should I go with a smaller skimmer at first to avoid any potential quality of skimming issues while in the first year, i.e. RO 110 int?
2. Or go with the larger RO 150 int that my system will ultimately utilize well, despite possible skimming issues for the first year or so?
3. Will there even be any skimming issues from the larger skimmer going in right after cycling?
4. Should I go with a different skimmer on my list?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the curve 5 elite. Works very well in my 85G system(total water volume). I would say I'm medium stocked? 6 fish, decent coral load. Having a sicce pump is a major plus, as parts are readily available should something happen to it.

I would think it would work perfectly on your system. From lightly stocked to heavily, should produce consistent skim.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
#WelcometoR2R and congratulations on your saltwater adventure! I currently have 3 #reefoctopus skimmers running on different tanks including the 150 INT classic. IMO you will be fine with the Reef Octopus 150 INT on your system both now and in the future.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 70g water volume, only four fish.

I started with a smaller skimmer, Eshopps S-120. Good skimmer, had no problems with it. After three years I decided to try an RO150SSS just to see how much difference it would make. I have been running that one about six months now and truthfully in terms of water quality I don't see much difference. Nutrients stay about the same. The chamber in the RO is massively larger though, at least three times the size. I do feel I can feed more heavily with the larger skimmer if I want to.

If I was in your position I would do the 150 off the hop. It is not hugely oversized, just a little bit and will work for the life of the tank.

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!
I have had several brands of skimmers in the past and I have to say it's hard to beat Reef Octopus.
I currently run a couple RO as well as Bubble Maggus. The RO skimmers just work, are less fiddly, out of the box without upgrade, have a better pump.
Just my 2¢

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!
I have had several brands of skimmers in the past and I have to say it's hard to beat Reef Octopus.
I currently run a couple RO as well as Bubble Maggus. The RO skimmers just work, are less fiddly, out of the box without upgrade, have a better pump.
Just my 2¢
Better pump then a sicce?

I'm not doubting you on performance, but the pump comment I do question.

U

User1

View Badges
Couple different ways to look at this but one thing to consider, if you haven't, is future upgrades. The idea in this hobby is to research as much as you can to find something that will work for your design. Then consider future upgrades. By upgrade I mean by size or adding say a frag tank (plumbed into existing system). Do this could save you money down the road. Example - my original tank was a 100 gallon back in 1999. Skimmers are expensive and at that particular time I strongly considered buying something smaller and affordable. Once I picked the skimmer I was interested in (LIfereef) they asked me about my interest in the hobby and if I would ever consider an upgraded tank. I said at the time I wasn't sure but enjoyed the hobby and they recommended something I could grow into yet work effectively (not overkill) for my system.

Here I am today, 20 years later, using the same skimmer on my 2 year old 210 upgrade. Best money I've spent in this hobby. Especially with today's DC pumps. A well built skimmer with a properly sized. pump means it will work equally well yet provided you room to grow. These are very important considerations that I would look at to include lighting, return pumps, and skimmers.

Dragon174

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Curve 5 elite on my 120 gallon display with a 30 gallon sump. Pulls out some nasty stuff. Tank is about medium stocked with fish and a lot of corals.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
welcome6.png

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy
I run my RO skimmer 4 times a day for a few hours each time. Its on a timer. It works for me and might be a big large for my tank. I would say go with the bigger one.

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better pump then a sicce?

I'm not doubting you on performance, but the pump comment I do question.
Out of the box a Bubble Maggus doesn't have a Sicce pump. It is an upgrade..
They DID for a time have a line called Elite that had a Sicce, but to my knowledge, that was a while ago and may not be a current offering.

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a RO 150 (External/Recirculating) on my 90. I bought it new for a 75 over 10 years ago. Still works great but it is now on my upgrade 90 gallon. Mine is different from today's model, but I'd guess the current RO 150 is fine for a 75 and a good value. You can turn it on and off or just set it dryer if you think it is being too efficient in the 75 and it'll serve you well once you upgrade.

OP
OP
TheDorkLord

TheDorkLord

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the advice. I definitely like the sicce pump on the elite and you can still get them new from a few places. For whatever reason, though, maybe it's just because I remember them from years ago, I do want the RO skimmer.

I very much doubt I will upgrade in the future. This will be on the second story and I do not want to push my luck with the floor. I don't really have many options for downstairs, nor do I spend enough time down there to be worth having it downstairs. I am going to setup a QT in my kitchen/dining room, but I am not too sure about a frag tank. Honestly, that feels a bit like counting my chickens at this point, lol. But, it's a valid point non the less. I plan to do a fair mix of softies and lps. Eventually, I hope to add a few "easier" sps, birdsnest, slimer, maybe monties and such. That is way down the road though.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of the box a Bubble Maggus doesn't have a Sicce pump. It is an upgrade..
They DID for a time have a line called Elite that had a Sicce, but to my knowledge, that was a while ago and may not be a current offering.
Umm.. the Elite line just came out last year, and is their current offering. If you had read the thread and the OPS post as well as mine, you would have seen we were talking about the Elite series.

Reefbuilder article on the all new Elite line of bubble magus skimmers. Posted June 2018.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 43 57.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 21 28.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.0%
Back