Skimmer vs another filtration unit

Elrond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone I have a question about a tank I'm setting up, so it's a 312 gallon fowlr I'm not doing a sump so I'm using one f6 and two hob 110s and was wondering if I would be better off adding a skimmer or another f6

Hats_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
both do different things, have their own up and downsides. i think it is a hard comparison. Skimmers help with more than just removal of dissolved organic matter also skimmers can remove smaller particles

OP
OP
E

Elrond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
both do different things, have their own up and downsides. i think it is a hard comparison. Skimmers help with more than just removal of dissolved organic matter also skimmers can remove smaller particles
Which would give me more oxygen in the water?

OP
OP
E

Elrond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I did a skimmer is there a more powerful hob than the reef octopus 2000?

nothing_fancy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I did a skimmer is there a more powerful hob than the reef octopus 2000?
You might consider an EXT skimmer in lieu of a HOB. You would only need to get the skimmer on a shelf behind your tank if you aren't you a sump. You will have to do some light plumbing. I set this up with a reef Octo 110 EXT and its worked out very nicely for me.

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FOWLR tanks, particularly large ones, tend to end up being loaded very heavily. I don't think there is a hob skimmer made that will handle your planned system. You would probably have to run 3 or 4 of the skimmer you mentioned to handle your system. My advice is put in a sump and get a properly sized quality skimmer... OR... Get an external skimmer, place it above your tank's water level, and feed it with the return from your FX6. Note that potential overflow is an issue in this arrangement.

OP
OP
E

Elrond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm for sure probably should have ordered it plumbed for a sump it's just I already had a lot into external filters and that's the only system I had experience with. I wonder if two F6s with the two hob filters I have would get me enough filtration and have wave makers and powerheads agitating the surface? Or I might have to figure out a way to make a sump work

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm for sure probably should have ordered it plumbed for a sump it's just I already had a lot into external filters and that's the only system I had experience with. I wonder if two F6s with the two hob filters I have would get me enough filtration and have wave makers and powerheads agitating the surface? Or I might have to figure out a way to make a sump work
I suppose you can add more canisters and power filters as you go.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is mechanical filtration added to more mechanical filtration. It doesn't provide provide any more additional benefit to your tank.

I've used hob protein skimmers for years, I currently use the aquamaxx 1.5 skimmer. A sump is not necessary for a skimmer.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your very limited on your skimmers that you can use, being that your going with a HOB, mechanical filtration is way different than having the gunk sucked out of the water column for you by a skimmer. But if you can't use one of the big boys in a sump, 2 f6 will keep your tank clean enough for a fowlr

OP
OP
E

Elrond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your very limited on your skimmers that you can use, being that your going with a HOB, mechanical filtration is way different than having the gunk sucked out of the water column for you by a skimmer. But if you can't use one of the big boys in a sump, 2 f6 will keep your tank clean enough for a fowlr
I will probably try two F6s and a hob skimmer the biggest I can find, hopefully that can handle it I will keep the stock in my tank low also

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 32 59.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back