Skimmer vs Fuge in Nano AIO

Saluki2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to decide what to put in my 2nd chamber of my IM Nuvo 20. This tank will be an Euphyllia dominant tank with a pair of clowns, a watchman goby/shrimp and maybe a clown or neon goby.

Every skimmer that will fit this tank has very mixed reviews and I’m getting mixed feedback on the efficacy of a fuge in nano AIO tanks.

Im currently doing 20% weekly water changes and leaning towards a fuge for the biodiversity aspect.

Please share your opinions and experience with either Nano fuge or skimmer.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tiny fuge in one of the back compartments of a 20 nano isnt likely going to do much. The skimmer will help with removing the organics/waste at least.

For my nanos in the past, I used a small skimmer and bag of carbon/little GFO to control nutrients. Always worked well for me

OP
OP
Saluki2003

Saluki2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tiny fuge in one of the back compartments of a 20 nano isnt likely going to do much. The skimmer will help with removing the organics/waste at least.

For my nanos in the past, I used a small skimmer and bag of carbon/little GFO to control nutrients. Always worked well for me
Which skimmer did you use? I had great results with a skimmer on my last nano but I was able to use a full sized skimmer since my sump was bigger than the tank.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which skimmer did you use? I had great results with a skimmer on my last nano but I was able to use a full sized skimmer since my sump was bigger than the tank.
I have used the small Tunze ones, which I didnt like (but other people love, so I was prob using it wrong). I also had the small Icecap one, which was ok. This was all like 4-5 years ago.

If I was setting up a nano today, I would look at an Aquamaxx (I have several Aquamaxx products now and love the quality. They are MarineDepots store brand). When it comes down to Nanos though, your kinda forced into what fits into the compartment. Or a hang-on-back would be good option...

Heres some decent ones you could research more:

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with the refugium, as you say the reviews on the skimmers are not great, and those that I have seen in videos praising them show a very light skimate, my frozen food water can be darker than the skimate, and apparently they are always in need of adjustments.

Fishyj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20 and I use the second compartment for my fuge. I also do a water change every week or two of 5 gallons. About once a month I take 3/4 of charro out of it and once a month I also clean my back compartments. I did use a mame skimmer for a short time but it was a lot of adjustments and maintenance on it.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 45 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.6%
Back