Skimmer Waste! How often should your cup be filling up?

How often do you have to empty your skimmer collection cup?

• Every day

Votes: 25 2.8%
  • 1-2 Days

Votes: 73 8.0%
  • 3-4 Days

Votes: 210 23.1%
  • 5-6 Days

Votes: 106 11.7%
  • A Week

Votes: 332 36.6%
  • More than a week

Votes: 162 17.8%

• Total voters

Kevan Sharp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Daily for both, usually about half full. I have a Tunze on my 120 and aquamaxx on my 65. I skim very wet, it's easier than playing with the settings over and over.
How do you like the aquamaxx? I just bought one ( new model). Haven’t installed it yet.

Kevan Sharp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 5 skimmers running - They are going to be the death of me!! Running good today and tomorrow they may stop skimming or overflow, who knows???
Story of my life. Either I can’t get foam or I get too much. Can’t find a happy place

chowberg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I clean mine once a week. I do it when I fill up my ATO reservoir.

Also, I recently switched to a Lifereef skimmer and it's been pretty good about being consistent (not overflowing).

PhreeByrd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no meaningful answer to this question. As others have said, there are far too many variables, not to mention personal preference.
I like to skim wet, and like many others I use a collection bucket, so I don't use the collection cup anyway. As far as removing nutrients and waste, it doesn't matter if you skim wet or dry. The same amount of junk is being removed; the only difference is how much water is being removed at the same time.

PhreeByrd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if there are any good uses for skimmer waste. Wonder if it is to salty for house plants..

It will kill house plants in short order. Yes, it is at least as salty as your tank water, and most probably, slightly more so.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About once a week, skim dry eshopps x-160 light bioload.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will kill house plants in short order. Yes, it is at least as salty as your tank water, and most probably, slightly more so.
Maybe some mangroves in a well lit wet pot?

my god the smell though lol

parttimer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased it used, was working ok until I turned it off Friday and it wouldn't start up last night. I pulled it apart, the impeller works when the cover is off, but when I put it on, it won't spin. It did decent job of pulling gunk when it was working. Nothing like the tunze.

How do you like the aquamaxx? I just bought one ( new model). Haven’t installed it yet.

Ruben Sacramento

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a 132L tank with a total system volume of 158L. Skimmer is over sized as it is an ATI Powercone 250is that I empty every week with about an inch of dark skimate.
I'm a heavy feeder and like to run my skimmer midway between wet and dry, meaning the bubbles break between 1 to 2 inches above the base of the collection cup.

IMG_20200314_185039_035.jpg

IMG_20200314_185039_038.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back