Skimmer Waste! How often should your cup be filling up?

How often do you have to empty your skimmer collection cup?

• Every day

Votes: 25 2.8%
  • 1-2 Days

Votes: 73 8.0%
  • 3-4 Days

Votes: 210 23.1%
  • 5-6 Days

Votes: 106 11.7%
  • A Week

Votes: 332 36.6%
  • More than a week

Votes: 162 17.8%

• Total voters

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Each week when the 5 gallon bucket is full. SRO 7000 EXT

Madonia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overall is it more common to have overflow with your skimmer when it’s brand new? I’ve had my skimmer less than a week. I empty it daily (tea colored). Still sending micro bubbles into water column.

Madonia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overall is it more common to have overflow with your skimmer when it’s brand new? I’ve had my skimmer less than a week. I empty it daily (tea colored). Still sending micro bubbles into water column.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When your skimmer is broken in the water at the bottom of the reaction chamber will be clear and there will be no bubbles coming out.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Mine goes right to a skimmate collector

Brycnz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wet skimming, dry skimming, what type of skimmer you have, your tank size, your bio-load, your sump water level and more are all variables of how quick your skimmer cup will fill up with waste. That being said I would like for us to discuss this today and maybe get a basic idea of how often our skimmer collection cup should be filling up!

How long does it take for your skimmer cup to fill up when you've got all your "settings" correct?

Anything else you would like to add?

@wiselyy73 skimmer photo
b51f6876742d577b96049942bf427439.jpg
I have a skimmer that will do 15,000L and my tank is only 450 so it’s a massive over kill haven’t had to empty it and it’s been a Month

image.jpg

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh ye ole skimmer cup!! Well I just started Zeo and so now it seems like everyday. But before Zeo when it was dialed in like a boss it was maybe 6 days strong!! Thick skimmate

Reefnman2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I check it every 3 days when I top off my ATO bucket, I have a drain tube on my Curve 7 and drain it usually once a week but it's never full.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to empty the cup around 4-5 days, basically whenever it got an inch or two of skimmate. Recently I added an Oxydator and skimmate production has gone up by about double. I don't run it wet, but very moist (ha!) and the stuff inside is pretty dark. Have a Reef Dynamics INS300 on my 300 sps reef with moderate bioload. I like to use the collection cup so I know how the skimmer is running... feel it gives me more insight as to how the reef is functioning as well. No automation needed for the skimmer in my opinion.

Jerry Ebner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am frustrated with skimming in general. It either Collects nothing or overflows the cup
My Small tank 32 gallons with the sump I had the IceCap K2 skimmer. It never collected anything . I have since added the Clarisea Roller Filter and it takes all that room in the little sump. IF I go back to skimming them I would have to get a HOB skimmer but in my history that was the second skimmer that didn't work for that tank. I did try to raise and lower the skimmer, open the valve or close it no matter what I did it was not successful First skimmer that come with the tank was a aquatop and it worked okay until it broke but it did the same thing either overflow or nothing but it worked slightly better.
Cube aquarium two clowns. 1 cardinal and a goby I'd say tank is stocked well.

So I take this to my 60 cube I went with a The Reef Octopus Classic 150SSS ( recommend to me by BRS) Somewhere around 75 gallons with the sump when you displace rock and sand etc.
Skimmer just never worked at all. I get tons of bubbles in the sump chamber now everytime I use it and am in the process of taking it apart to see what the heck is wrong. That tank has two clowns 1 dwarf angel and a goby as well. I wouldnt say its stocked to the brim but its decent. Oh and I got a Six Line Wrasse . lets just say I have spent plenty of money on skimmers and as a 3 year old reef keeper Even several Local fish stores have no clue what's going on. I have raised these skimmers changed the air going in and nothing. So at this point what do I do ? Toss in the Towel for skimming. . Money has gotten tight so I can't just keep buying equipment. I do AWC my 60 cube and when I get enough funds I plan on doing AWC on my little 24 cube as well.

Reefer40b

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think there really is a time on it, as this will vary greatly between all our tanks. Also using a smaller skimmer on a larger system will result in a full cup faster, compared to a say using a bigger skimmer like the one on my 180 which can hold 10 cups of skim...
You have to account for bio-load and amount of food going in too..

Best way to set the skim is just by looking at the type you are getting either wet or dry, not by when the cup fills up, IMO

Ben Pedersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if there are any good uses for skimmer waste. Wonder if it is to salty for house plants..

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back