Skimmer - why can't I find the answer to this question

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having problems with my Nyos Quantum skimmer (AGAIN). I want to see if I can adjust the open/closed valve. My question? Does an open valve mean higher water level in the skimmer or is that a closed valve?

My skimmer has been running all the way one direction in 4 inches of water and has started to overflow within about an hour of turning it on. This has been a recurring problem with this skimmer. I pulled it out in May, cleaned it, raised the skimmer in the sump so that it's in 4 inches of water, adjusted it all the way one direction and got it so it was working and only needed emptying about once a week. It started overflowing last week, I emptied the cup, it overflowed within 24 hours, I emptied the cup, it overflowed in less than an hour so now it's sitting in my reef equipment cleaning station (ie the bathtub) and I can't remember if the tube should be open or closed.

I hate this skimmer. It does this every few months and even when it's working well I have to run it all the way (open??? closed??? lowest level of water inside the skimmer). I wrote the correct direction down on the top of the skimmer cup but guess what? Skimate erased sharpie.

Anyone else have this problem? Did I just get a lemon? It's only 2 years old!

Thanks for "listening" to my rant.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe if the valve is open it will be a lower water level in the skimmer, and as you close the valve the resistance increases and raises the water level in the skimmer body as the water cant flow out as fast.

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As always the glitter fairy is correct! Closed will make it rise. Open will drop it.

Closing the air input will make it rise and opening it will lower it.

On my nyos skimmer (160$ I have in about 9-10 of water. I open The air valve about halfway, then adjust the open/close knob until the water level is where the cup twist on at. Then I dial the air knob in until I can just see the foam in the neck.

I do have a 5 gallon res hooked up to my cup. I can say every mass overflow I’ve had was from something being added to the tank.

Had old salt mix trigger it. Any time I add photo skimmer does it to.

Thing is so darn effective.

OP
OP
ThunderGoose

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. While pulling the skimmer apart I found the problem!

The open/closed knob lifts an inner tube to allow water flow. BUT the inner tube has a hole in the side that is the actual opening. Turns out that sometimes when you turn the knob you just turn the opening AWAY from the input flow location (hard to explain, sorry) so that even if it's all the way open water cannot flow through the hole in the inner tube.

If that didn't make sense - while the knob said it was open it wasn't actually open but I fixed it and it's working again! Yipee!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 23 30.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 61 80.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 15.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.2%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.3%
Back