Skimming, Stocking, and Shrimps

ecas12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, I have a few different random questions, that instead of posting as separate threads, am going to just throw into here. Here it goes:

(1) Skimmer constantly overflowing after water change

My tank is the Red Sea Reefer G2 350 (72 gal display with an 18 gallon sump). I purchased what I believed was the best accompanying skimmer for the system, a Red Sea Reefer RSK300. After the initial install and some adjustments to the water level valve, the skimmer was working. The skim produced was very wet but a light tan color, and I never had any issues with overflows. I just cleaned it out and found more detritus stuck inside the neck which I also removed, so I know that it is doing its job. However, I just did a ~25 gal water change, and ever since then, the skimmer will just overflow almost instantly, even when the water level valve is turned all the way down. I know I didn't refill the tank with too much water, and I have even tightened the downflow valve so that the sump water level decreases, which it has. Despite this, the second I look away, the skimmer overflows, spraying water inside all the cabinet walls. I would be fine letting it overflow and just sort itself out if it didn't spray all over the walls, but I am worried about damage to the cabinet. What could be causing the sudden change in behavior? I added the skimmer when there was literally no organic matter in the tank and it didn't behave like this, so I am unsure what could be the cause of the issue now.

(2) Stocking List for My System

I currently have two small clowns and a skunk cleaner in the tank. I know I want to add coral at some point (basically as soon as possible, so around 6 months in, sticking to softies and LPS bc SPS seem like a bit more of a challenge), and I am looking for fish stocking suggestions. I originally found this link which seemed like it was a good place to start: https://www.saltwateraquariumblog.com/best-saltwater-fish-for-a-75-gallon-tank/ . After further research though, it seems like this list recommends a lot of large, active fish that would just clog up the tank. I was planning on adding a starry blenny as my next fish to the tank, but I know I want at least some kind of small tang and/or a one spot foxface. Based on LiveAquaria and the website I mentioned, at least one of these is doable, but it seems like a stretch to include both in the tank, especially if I want to also add a blenny. Here is what I am currently absolutely certain I want to get: goby/pistol shrimp pair, flame hawk, coral beauty, a smaller tang, some sort of wrasse, and obviously CUC. I am willing to take the risk with the coral beauty and flame hawk eating/attacking inverts or coral. I also want a sea star for sure. What sort of flexibility do I have to add larger, more active fish, and is adding more than 1-2 (especially utilitarian fish) a bad idea? I have attached a picture of my tank. I think it has a decent amount of open swimming space, especially in the middle, but I am more than happy to be proven wrong.

(3) Iodine dosing for skunk cleaner

Alright, last and easiest question. I currently only have one skunk cleaner in the tank. Do I need to dose iodine to help with molting? I am using Red Sea Coral Pro salt. Their labelling doesn't mention iodine anywhere, but I figure it's in there. Will 10% weekly water changes be enough to refill iodine to a sufficient level for the shrimp?

1665022720470.png

wculver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will just use your numbers to align to my take on suggestions:

1. Some things come to mind that may be your skimmer issue:
- Maybe there is something that is stuck in the valve? Usually if you take the whole thing out you can take things apart and ensure the valve is totally open.
- Perhaps the water level has gotten too high? Maybe with the variation the overflow has raised a few inches and it's just too high for the sump you have in there? Your issue sounds 'explosive' so I tend to lean toward number 1 though.
- Orgaic matter can make it buble more but unless you have a bio pellet reactor that provides a big bioload all at once I can't see it doing that.

2. Stocking the tank is of course first to see how everyone gets along but second are you able to control the nutrients, namely Phosphate and Nitrate. If you can keep them under control stocking you could have the ~10 fish you mention here.

3. The salt you are dosing does have Iodine in it close to natural seawater. Here's a reference: https://www.redseafish.com/red-sea-salts/coral-pro-salt/
- When you start adding coral, depending on what you add at some point you'll have to think about dosing something. This would include something like "purple up" maybe to start and keep levels up. Then as you add more I'd suggest going to a 2 or 3 part mix with a doser and likely use the Red Sea products. Lots of success with those. For now though the water changes will be more than sufficient.

OP
OP
E

ecas12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will just use your numbers to align to my take on suggestions:

1. Some things come to mind that may be your skimmer issue:
- Maybe there is something that is stuck in the valve? Usually if you take the whole thing out you can take things apart and ensure the valve is totally open.
- Perhaps the water level has gotten too high? Maybe with the variation the overflow has raised a few inches and it's just too high for the sump you have in there? Your issue sounds 'explosive' so I tend to lean toward number 1 though.
- Orgaic matter can make it buble more but unless you have a bio pellet reactor that provides a big bioload all at once I can't see it doing that.

2. Stocking the tank is of course first to see how everyone gets along but second are you able to control the nutrients, namely Phosphate and Nitrate. If you can keep them under control stocking you could have the ~10 fish you mention here.

3. The salt you are dosing does have Iodine in it close to natural seawater. Here's a reference: https://www.redseafish.com/red-sea-salts/coral-pro-salt/
- When you start adding coral, depending on what you add at some point you'll have to think about dosing something. This would include something like "purple up" maybe to start and keep levels up. Then as you add more I'd suggest going to a 2 or 3 part mix with a doser and likely use the Red Sea products. Lots of success with those. For now though the water changes will be more than sufficient.
Thanks for your response! I will have a look at the skimmer this weekend when I have some free time to disassemble it. Also good to know that I have sufficient iodine levels, and as for stocking, hopefully everything gets along, but it's nice knowing I can mix and match as I originally intended with some bigger fish (so long as nutrients stay under control).

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back