Skin bumps/blisters on my clown goby. Pics attached.

TedsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. I'm new to the hobby and just got around to adding my first two fish to my tank. I inspected both thoroughly during acclimation and I saw no lesions, bumps, or discolorations. I added them two days ago and the yellow clown goby has yet to eat (I've tried frozen mysis, frozen cyclopes, and pellets). Tonight I noticed bumps on his skin. At first I though they were white markings but looking closer they are bumps and some of them look like they have white circles inside. I did some googling and some people say this could be a sign of malnutrition or dead skin but I wanted to check to make sure it's nothing like a virus or parasite. He's been moderately active, likes to sit vertically in the corner of the glass and then swim around in bursts. Pictures below - check the profile of the goby to see the bumps and the reflection in the glass on the second picture to see what looks like a bump or discoloration (may have always been there) in the anal fin.

I'm not sure what constitutes heavy breathing for a yellow clown goby but his gills are moving at 2-3 pulses per second while he is at rest.

Tank has been cycled for approx 6 weeks. 20g. Checked params this morning and ammonia and nitrites are 0ppm and nitrates are under 5ppm. Salinity 1.025.

IMG_6052.PNG

IMG_6048.PNG
IMG_6049.PNG
IMG_6050.PNG

Last edited:

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me, it doesn't look like ich at all ... though I can't say what might cause skin-blisters like that. Perhaps some sort of caustic chemistry? <shrugs>

~Bruce, along for the ride, and curious to know the cause

OP
OP
TedsReef

TedsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see no holes that match the description of ich. I don’t have a qt tank. Other fish is a mandarin so hoppefully her slime coat protects her if it is ich.

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see no holes that match the description of ich. I don’t have a qt tank. Other fish is a mandarin so hoppefully her slime coat protects her if it is ich.
To me, some pics do and some pics do the other pics don't. Very blurry pics so hard to see exactly how large the specs are and their color. Without QT it could be any # of things.

OP
OP
TedsReef

TedsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran out and bought a small 1g tank with filtration, airpump, heater, and marine land all-in-one-remedy (suggested by a petsmart worker who has kept marine tanks and also said it did not look like ich). I put a small pvc tube in there for him to hide. I dosed the filter with 1/2 cap of seachem stability but still plan on doing water changes daily. I’ll try feeding him tomorrow before the wc.

OP
OP
TedsReef

TedsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to update this thread incase someone else searches for this issue. My yellow clown goby is looking much better after about a week in the QT tank. Temp is kept around 78-80. I do 50-60% water changes daily since it's only a 1g tank and has no established bio filtration. I add 1/4 tablet of the Marine Land all-in-one remedy after the wc. I also dose 0.5ml API Ammo Lock every other day. He started to eat frozen cyclopeez (0.25ml twice a day) which I soaked in Selcon and Garlic Xtreme. I found he's picky about eating things that don't have movement so I spend about 20minutes with a small pipette keeping things circulating so he eats before turning the filter back on. After the second feeding is when I do the daily wc.

I'm not sure if this is an infection or not. I did find a yellow piece of shriveled something in the tank. One of my guesses is that they are skin tags formed from weight loss.

Hope this helps someone!

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to update this thread incase someone else searches for this issue. My yellow clown goby is looking much better after about a week in the QT tank. Temp is kept around 78-80. I do 50-60% water changes daily since it's only a 1g tank and has no established bio filtration. I add 1/4 tablet of the Marine Land all-in-one remedy after the wc. I also dose 0.5ml API Ammo Lock every other day. He started to eat frozen cyclopeez (0.25ml twice a day) which I soaked in Selcon and Garlic Xtreme. I found he's picky about eating things that don't have movement so I spend about 20minutes with a small pipette keeping things circulating so he eats before turning the filter back on. After the second feeding is when I do the daily wc.

I'm not sure if this is an infection or not. I did find a yellow piece of shriveled something in the tank. One of my guesses is that they are skin tags formed from weight loss.

Hope this helps someone!
Literally have the same thing in my clown gobi. Thought it was ich but never moved or increased in amount. Have I’m in GC bath now and looking from above you can clearly see these raised spots on the one side.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Lymphocystis which is caused by infection with an iridovirus known as Lymphocystivirus or Lymphocystis disease virus (LCDV), which is a member of the family Iridoviridae. Infection appears on the infected fish as one or more white or beige colored pebble or wart-like nodules most commonly seen on the fins, skin, or gills, although other tissues may be affected.
When the virus first begins to grow, it may be confused with the parasites Cryptocaryon irritans (marine white spot disease), appearing as small white or off-white specks on the fish's skin or fins. This is viral and often associated with water quality. Although there is no actual cure. I have seen Formalin help clear this up. I would do formalin baths.
Assure ammonia-nitrate and salinity levels are not elevated.

Diet- Feed . . . . . . .
Spirulina brine shrimp
mysis shrimp
LRS Fish Frenzy
Small new Era pellets

Add selcon vitamins to the foods 2-4X per weeks and Garlic extract on alternating days for immunity system health.

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lymphocystis which is caused by infection with an iridovirus known as Lymphocystivirus or Lymphocystis disease virus (LCDV), which is a member of the family Iridoviridae. Infection appears on the infected fish as one or more white or beige colored pebble or wart-like nodules most commonly seen on the fins, skin, or gills, although other tissues may be affected.
When the virus first begins to grow, it may be confused with the parasites Cryptocaryon irritans (marine white spot disease), appearing as small white or off-white specks on the fish's skin or fins. This is viral and often associated with water quality. Although there is no actual cure. I have seen Formalin help clear this up. I would do formalin baths.
Assure ammonia-nitrate and salinity levels are not elevated.

Diet- Feed . . . . . . .
Spirulina brine shrimp
mysis shrimp
LRS Fish Frenzy
Small new Era pellets

Add selcon vitamins to the foods 2-4X per weeks and Garlic extract on alternating days for immunity system health.
Yup he’s in the bath now. I do feed brine mysis and small pellets. Wild check out selcon. Thanks my man

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back