Skinny clown

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My female clown is getting very skinny. Had her for about 5 years now. I suspect internal parasite. Is there a medication I can add to frozen food with focus that can be feed in a reef tank?
Thanks

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What makes you think internal parasites? Have you added anything new recently? Maybe she has lived a great 5 years in your aquarium and now ready to leave

OP
OP
MrsBugmaster

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What makes you think internal parasites? Have you added anything new recently? Maybe she has lived a great 5 years in your aquarium and now ready to leave
Because she has continued to get skinnier in spike of eating well. Got her as a small young fish and I know clowns can live for many more years than 5.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because she has continued to get skinnier in spike of eating well. Got her as a small young fish and I know clowns can live for many more years than 5.
If you are positive that the fish has been getting enough food, then in a five year old clownfish, I would consider it is probably Mycobacterium, fish TB. It shows up pretty often in older fish, and is a chronic wasting disease. Sorry, but if that is it, there is no cure.
Jay

OP
OP
MrsBugmaster

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are positive that the fish has been getting enough food, then in a five year old clownfish, I would consider it is probably Mycobacterium, fish TB. It shows up pretty often in older fish, and is a chronic wasting disease. Sorry, but if that is it, there is no cure.
Jay
Thanks for the reply. She also has white stringy poop. I know that can be a sign of internal parasites as well but not always.
I looked back in my records (I keep records of when and where I buy any fish or coral), as it turns out I have had this pair (female is black snowflake and male is regular black and white ocellaris) a lot longer than I thought. I got them both in March of 2013, so 9 years ago. Time flies I guess. The male is still doing great.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. She also has white stringy poop. I know that can be a sign of internal parasites as well but not always.
I looked back in my records (I keep records of when and where I buy any fish or coral), as it turns out I have had this pair (female is black snowflake and male is regular black and white ocellaris) a lot longer than I thought. I got them both in March of 2013, so 9 years ago. Time flies I guess. The male is still doing great.
White feces is also a sign of starvation. It can also be caused by bacteria, coccidea and Hexamita protozoans. Worms don’t cause this.
Nine years is old for a clown. Mycobacteria is “old age” disease in fish….I can’t be 100% with the diagnosis, but it still seems likely.
Jay

OP
OP
MrsBugmaster

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White feces is also a sign of starvation. It can also be caused by bacteria, coccidea and Hexamita protozoans. Worms don’t cause this.
Nine years is old for a clown. Mycobacteria is “old age” disease in fish….I can’t be 100% with the diagnosis, but it still seems likely.
Jay
Thanks for all the great info!

Robert Ranciato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Clownfish can live past 20 years don't let people descurge you from trying to treat or get the fish healthy again. People can't diagnoses a fish from a description. You can try to bumb up feeding to 2 or 3 ×a day and adding Selcon to food. You might want to remove the fish and treat with metroplex and or paraguard. I know some of the Seachem medications you can add to the food. Don't give up . Good luck

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back