Skinny Clownfish - Is Something Wrong?

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this clownfish for 2 years now, and over the past 6 months or so it looks like he's losing weight (there is a line visible down the length of his body). He's very energetic and eats very well. I've introduced nothing new to the tank at all, and he doesn't have white stringy poop, so I doubt that it would be internal parasites. I've been feeding him frozen mysis 2x a day with a turkey baster to try and put some weight back on him, but it doesn't seem to be working. Thoughts on what this could be, or how to put weight back on him? He also seems to have an orange/white spot on his tail where the fin looks like it's thinner that he didn't have last week.

1648045750320.png

1648045810440.png

1648045845397.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I've had this clownfish for 2 years now, and over the past 6 months or so it looks like he's losing weight (there is a line visible down the length of his body). He's very energetic and eats very well. I've introduced nothing new to the tank at all, and he doesn't have white stringy poop, so I doubt that it would be internal parasites. I've been feeding him frozen mysis 2x a day with a turkey baster to try and put some weight back on him, but it doesn't seem to be working. Thoughts on what this could be, or how to put weight back on him? He also seems to have an orange/white spot on his tail where the fin looks like it's thinner that he didn't have last week.

1648045750320.png

1648045810440.png

1648045845397.png
Pics are slightly fuzzy but appears to be brooklynella although I’m not ruling out ich.
With brooklynella, you will notice fish stop eating, rss add pi’s breathing, lethargic behavior, sitting at times on the bottom of tank.
fir temporary relief, you can give the fish a 5 minute freshwater dip in water the same temperature as display tank
Formalin treatment is the preferred treatment in the form of quick cure or ruby rally pro

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1648045750320.png

1648045810440.png

1648045845397.png
Are you feeding anything other than mysis?

Frozen mysis and brine shrimp are actually fairly low in nutritional value, due partially to the high water content in commercial frozen brands. Check the protein and fat content for any of the food you offer. My clowns, as well as other species, do very well with new life spectrum mini pellets (43% protein and fat). Other natural foods with less water content are also very nutritional and help provide a more varied diet..

OP
OP
Chortanator

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish is not lethargic or breathing heavily whatsoever, and is eating fine. I supplement mysis with Vitalis Platinum Marine Pellets. There are no actual spots/ich/etc, just parts of the fin that look thin and are allowing more light through.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish is not lethargic or breathing heavily whatsoever, and is eating fine. I supplement mysis with Vitalis Platinum Marine Pellets. There are no actual spots/ich/etc, just parts of the fin that look thin and are allowing more light through.
I noticed the line down the middle which you mentioned. As you suggested, I normally associate the visibility of the "spine line" with under-weight fish. Do you have other fish in the tank.

While you want to avoid overfeeding due to water quality problems it can cause, I suggest you feed more of the marine pellets until the fish's appetite is satiated. Based on my personal experience, I think it is easy to unintentional underfeed fish. It may take a little time for the fish to beef up if he has gotten progressively skinnier over time.

OP
OP
Chortanator

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only other fish I have in the tank is a green wrasse, who looks healthy but also forages in the sand, so that could be the reason why. I've only been feeding about a pinch a day, and have probably been underfeeding since I have had nitrate problems and am currently at the end of my cyano outbreak. But I'll be doing larger, more frequent water changes now instead of trying to feed less. Since the only symptom is looking skinny, I think it might just be that, thank you.

OP
OP
Chortanator

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's an update on my clownfish - I just got her a friend yesterday, and I've been increasing her feedings while also doing large water changes and getting the nitrates down to 15 (I still have a little bit to go, but it's much better than it was - about 80 1.5 months ago). She's starting to show signs of gaining weight, and the line down her sides is getting less and less noticeable. I've continued to feed Vitalis Platinum Marine Pellets, with mysis shrimp about once a week.

OP
OP
Chortanator

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20220515_141823.jpg

Final update: her spine is nearly imperceptible now, I've been comfortably increasing my feedings now that my nitrates are <5 (the black storm is really showing it with how round he is, lol). I appreciate the help of everyone who provided suggestions and insight!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back