Skinny yellow tang.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With 13 years of experience I only had 2 yellow tangs for a short while. So I ask you folks with more experience with them. I put this fish through the hybrid TTM and it is time to put him in the DT. I may keep him in my observation tank for a bit to try and fatten him up but my instinct is to place him in the display tank now for the best environment and grazing. No white feces noted. He eats nori. He hides when I come near the QT. No signs or symptoms of illness other than skinny. How fast do tangs regain weight? Or is this a sign of worms?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Feed at minimum (sparingly):
Nori basted with garlic extract
LRS Herbivore diet
Plankton
mysis shrimp
Spirulina brineF
Formula 2 frozen and flake

Add 2-3X per week , selcon vitamins to its' food

Reefer40b

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another way to fatten up tangs is to mix selcon, sm pellet, and masstick. Make a nice ball, mix enough selcon to make it tacky but not too pasty. stick it to the glass and he can feed on it throughout the day... if you have multiple tangs split it up and put it on the glass in 3 spots as tangs don't like sharing.

ps. you may also add garlic to entice him being a new food and then stop after he understands its food.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish have been completely healthy. Colors on them are bright and deep. Lots of energy in the tank. Corals have demonstrated much better, fuller polyp extensions. Colors are vibrant, without needing to dose the tank with additives.

I will never feed dry foods again. Way too much algae, poor polyp extension, and lack luster colors on both corals and fish.

Joshua Warne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish have been completely healthy. Colors on them are bright and deep. Lots of energy in the tank. Corals have demonstrated much better, fuller polyp extensions. Colors are vibrant, without needing to dose the tank with additives.

I will never feed dry foods again. Way too much algae, poor polyp extension, and lack luster colors on both corals and fish.
That’s enough to convince anyone! I’ll report back with my results. Thanks again for sharing!

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s enough to convince anyone! I’ll report back with my results. Thanks again for sharing!
If you are interested, you might enjoy this article from Advanced Aquarist on Beta Glucan.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back