Skinz's 120g dream come true.

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a very long time now I have really been wanting a 4'x2'x2' 120 gallon reef just because of the depth and aquascaping possibility's. I have been on a budget and have been with my current 75g for quite some time now, I have actually set it up 3 different times. I currently have it set up in a peninsula type setting and it has only been up for about 6 months. You can view the thread on it here: https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/member-tanks/47922-my-75g-reef-out-sticks.html#post523704

I will be transferring most all of my current corals from the 75 to the 120. I also plan on using all the pumps, lights, skimmer, etc.

The thing that brought this whole idea on is my wife suggesting we make our dining room bigger... My current office is right on the other side of the wall from our dining room and the 75g is in my office. Our current dining room is the pretty standard size but our table barely fits, and we can't even put the leaf into it to make it bigger. So the plan is for me to knock out the wall in between the office and dining room and just open it up larger. The current dining room will get a new smaller table and be used as a nook, and the office will get the larger dinner table. I will be moving my office into my youngest sons room and he will take over his sisters "who just moved upstairs" room.

As for the tank, it is a All Glass Aquariums with 2 built in overflows. I ordered the tank the other day and it should have arrived at my LFS today. My LFS is a one way 1.5 hour drive away so I am going to pick it up on Saturday. The owner of the LFS told me that one of the holes in the overflow is a 1" and the other overflow has a 3/4". I also purchased the bulkhead kit that he recommended, he listed all the stuff it came with and doing the quick math I think it was about half as much as what it would cost me to piece it together.

I also picked a regular 40g breeder from Petco at the dollar a gallon sale so I plan on building my sump out of it.

Now the display tank will be up against a wall that has a closet on the other side of it. I plan on ether placing the sump in the closet on a shelf or under the tank in the stand, I am leaning more towards the closet. I for sure will be placing my frag tank in the closet so we'll see on the sump. I gotta get everything here and then make a decision. I am thinking of placing the sump in the closet as high as I possibly can to cut down on the amount of GPH loss from the return pump.

I am planning on building my own stand and I can't decide if I want to place tile, faux rocks, or wood paneling on it.

I have a few decisions to make yet as well on what color to paint the back of the tank and also what I should do about a return pump. I currently have a Rio 2500 and I don't think it is enough. I am thinking of something in the 900 to 1000 gph size.

I will post some pic's when I go get the tank. The little missus laid down the law and said no construction till after the holidays... LOL I have a 4 day weekend over New Years.. It might just get done then!

Sasquatch

~Brunt of all jokes~
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lock up your clams! he's got more water!!!!!!!! Congrats Chris this should be fun, what about some nice diamond checker plate? always manly and tastefully accented lol

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you've got a great plan. I myself am moving my display and will be using the closet behind it for my sump / frag tank, just makes everything that much more quiet around the display I figure. I say go with a black back, was never a fan of the blue.

OP
OP
skinz78

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lock up your clams! he's got more water!!!!!!!! Congrats Chris this should be fun, what about some nice diamond checker plate? always manly and tastefully accented lol

LOL the diamond plate would be nice but it wouldn't fit into our house. This tank will be sitting on custom figured maple hardwood floors. I am contemplating on doing one or two foot tile surround around the stand so I can clean up spillage a little easier.

OP
OP
skinz78

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you've got a great plan. I myself am moving my display and will be using the closet behind it for my sump / frag tank, just makes everything that much more quiet around the display I figure. I say go with a black back, was never a fan of the blue.

Thanks, I am thinking black too, I am pretty sure the overflows are both black.

Sasquatch

~Brunt of all jokes~
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The black at least makes coraline look reddish, blue looks so Barbie Pink

ReefDreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a good build. I think you should go black also I never really liked the look of the blue. Good luck

OP
OP
skinz78

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I was kinda thinking a forrest green too. It would hide any green algae's growing on it.

I don't know, I'm leaning more towards black though.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Man I can;t wait to see this bad boy come together!

OP
OP
skinz78

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I got some pic's as promised but you'll have to bear with me on them, it is raining cats and dogs and the humidity is up to 98% right now so everything is fogged up. Also please excuse the messy garage:sure:

I have the tank up on saw horses waiting for paint on the back panel.
DSCN2707.jpg

The two overflows.
DSCN2708.jpg

LOL I asked my wife not to get me in my sweats, I just got home from duck hunting and I wear the sweats in my waders.... She didn't listen..... Anyhow, the back is now black! I was a little worried about it sticking with everything being so wet so I placed a space heater near the tank and it's drying.
DSCN2710.jpg

I dug out the blueprints to our house so I could take a pic of the area of where the tank will sit but my daughter used them for a coloring book...:squigglemouth:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
SWEEEEET! Man I love new tanks!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back