OP
skinz78

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I decided to clean my skimmer pump in some vinegar tonight because it all the sudden decided to start not starting after being shut off....YAY.... Well while the pump was soaking in the vinegar I looked at the tank to notice my Crocea clam spawning....DOUBLE YAY.... So I go get the pump, scrub it down put it together and back on the skimmer and once again it won't start....TRIPLE YAY.... I take it back out and apart and in the process drop it and break half the needles of the needle wheel....QUADRUPLE YAY.... And it took some beating to get going again....

So after much stress I think it's time to start considering a new skimmer....

I dislike this hobby sometimes, very much so indeed....

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One time I dropped the whole skimmer off my counter and broke the piece where the pump attaches to the body, not one of my best moments.

shellynjason

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I decided to clean my skimmer pump in some vinegar tonight because it all the sudden decided to start not starting after being shut off....YAY.... Well while the pump was soaking in the vinegar I looked at the tank to notice my Crocea clam spawning....DOUBLE YAY.... So I go get the pump, scrub it down put it together and back on the skimmer and once again it won't start....TRIPLE YAY.... I take it back out and apart and in the process drop it and break half the needles of the needle wheel....QUADRUPLE YAY.... And it took some beating to get going again....

Sorry to hear about the mishap , it's always something in this hobby. You go to do 'something good' and mess something else up - yep I have empathy for you.

That's good news about the Clam spawning thought - right?

secretreefer

**MAD PHANTOM SCIENTIST**
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang man. yup that's seems to be the "signal" to get a new skimmer. no matter how careful you are something slips or breaks. HAHA . i've accepted that sign already.

OP
OP
skinz78

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the mishap , it's always something in this hobby. You go to do 'something good' and mess something else up - yep I have empathy for you.

That's good news about the Clam spawning thought - right?

Yeah I know how it go's!

The clam spawning is a very bad thing, it means the clam is stressed. Plus it can pollute the water, the good news is that the clam is only 3.5" long and when it spawned it didn't do a whole lot of damage since my system is over 150g total. The skimmer is going nuts though even though it only has about 70% of the needles....

OP
OP
skinz78

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang man. yup that's seems to be the "signal" to get a new skimmer. no matter how careful you are something slips or breaks. HAHA . i've accepted that sign already.

LOL yep, now I just gotta wait till I can get a new one, time to start shopping though and see what's gonna work best.

Reefer831

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is looking good Chris...sucks to hear about your skimmer...I think we have all had a few bad reefing days like that.

secretreefer

**MAD PHANTOM SCIENTIST**
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got a warner marine MF161. it's a beast! but, idk if jon is even making skimmers anymore.......

OP
OP
skinz78

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I spent most of the day messing with the outside of the tank... I took the LED's off and put my T5's back on. Mainly because I wanted to put one of the LED's on Sarah's Bio Cube, and the other on my little frag tank.

I also finally cleaned up some of the wires, the MP40's are officially stuck on the tank now with wire holders.

OP
OP
skinz78

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I spent most of the day messing with the outside of the tank... I took the LED's off and put my T5's back on. Mainly because I wanted to put one of the LED's on Sarah's Bio Cube, and the other on my little frag tank.

I also finally cleaned up some of the wires, the MP40's are officially stuck on the tank now with wire holders.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stupid skimmers! Can you just replace the pump or parts on the skimmer you have instead of buying a new one?

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, sorry about your troubles with the skimmer. Very interested knowing you switched back to your T5s. I am considering going back to mh.

Country Boy using tapatalk on his EVO

OP
OP
skinz78

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did a 15g water change and that darn skimmer wouldn't start again....

I switched back to T5's because:

1. I still had them and the bulbs aren't that old.
2. The light on my frag tank sucks, 3x Stunner Strips...
3. The T5 on my wife's Bio Cube needed new bulbs.
4. The T5 on my wifes Bio Cube didn't fit, it was too long and looked ghetto.
5. The corals in my wifes Bio Cube are mainly zoa's and polyps and I think they look a lot better under LED's.
6. The corals in my 120 are mainly SPS and I think they look better under my T5's...

So yeah that's the long and short of it....

I'd take pic's but my algae issue is too embarrassing....

Back