Skunk cleaner shrimp tried cleaning my BTA - is that normal?

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About a week ago I got a smallish RBTA from a local reefer. The other day, it decided to relocate to the sandbed directly under the rock ledge where my 2 skunk cleaner shrimp hang out all day. I was watching them and caught one of the shrimp trying to clean the nem... at least that's what it looked like. The nem would retract the tentacles the shrimp touched and start closing up, and the shrimp would back off. Then he tried again. I decided he was bothering the nem too much so I gently got the nem to release his foot and moved him back up on the rocks (he hasn't moved since, and looks much happier). Has anyone seen this before? I didn't think shrimp cleaned anemones... at any rate, they won't bother it now, because I've literally never seen the shrimp leave their ledge.

OP
OP
Sink_or_Swim

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the shrimp is just trying to steal food from it. Cleaner shrimps are known to irritate them
Ugh, darn shrimp! If the shrimp would get brave enough to leave the vicinity of their hangout, they'd find all kinds of chunks of food the fish miss. Usually I suck up leftover mysis pieces and hand them directly to the shrimp. Guess mine are lazy bums! lol

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back