Slight Discoloration On Clownfish

canadianclownfishguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there, not entirely sure if this is something to worry about but one of my mocha storm clowns has a spot of slight discoloration on his right side. It's barely visible, only on certain angles and in the direct light. It looks like it could a whitish patch of slime coat. Could it be a slight injury from a rock? My thoughts always go to the worst case scenario aka brooklynella.
The fish came direct from breeder and have never touched a system with a wild caught fish or any fish from an LFS. My system was sterilized and dry for years prior to me setting it back up.
Other 2 clownfish in tank are fine as well. All fish are acting as happy normal clownfish.

Sorry for a lack of picture but I can barely see it at times and it would be impossible for me to get a picture worth looking at.
*fish has had this for a few days.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had the fish, and was it quarantined? Is it still eating normally and holding its fins erect?

Jay

OP
OP
C

canadianclownfishguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had the fish, and was it quarantined? Is it still eating normally and holding its fins erect?

Jay
Only a week, I got them directly from breeder and are the only fish in their current tank. Fish is swimming like a normal happy clownfish, with all fins erect. He eats some food but rejects it occasionally by spitting it out. I have 9 other clownfish in other tanks from the same source and all are happy.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only a week, I got them directly from breeder and are the only fish in their current tank. Fish is swimming like a normal happy clownfish, with all fins erect. He eats some food but rejects it occasionally by spitting it out. I have 9 other clownfish in other tanks from the same source and all are happy.
Well, unless it develops more symptoms I don’t see a definitive issue to treat for. It’s not a coral sting is it?
Jay

RedFishReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clowns started like that. I watched for a couple of weeks then I started treating for ich. They started looking better then boom, slime coat and dead. I posted the whole story in my postings. I’m going to do a 12 week fallow but i’m afraid it will happen again. If I had to do it over in my situation i would have started with a freshwater dip.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I can envision many things you are describing, but pictures would be like being there to see it.
Please post a couple.

OP
OP
C

canadianclownfishguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heres a photo from today, it is on the side at the back half of his body.

strm 3.jpg

OP
OP
C

canadianclownfishguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, unless it develops more symptoms I don’t see a definitive issue to treat for. It’s not a coral sting is it?
Jay
I have called the hatchery, they have said that they guarantee that there is no disease on the farm. The fishes lateral lines are fairly visible.
My biggest concern is obviously brook, how long does it usually take to overtake the fish? When will the heavy breathing start?

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Distinct lateral lines are very common in tank raised designer clowns,not sure why, but they aren’t a concern. I don’t see any classic Brooklynella in the photo, but it can ramp up pretty quickly. I still am not seeing a treatable symptom....
Jay

OP
OP
C

canadianclownfishguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Distinct lateral lines are very common in tank raised designer clowns,not sure why, but they aren’t a concern. I don’t see any classic Brooklynella in the photo, but it can ramp up pretty quickly. I still am not seeing a treatable symptom....
Jay
Okay thanks Jay, I guess I'm over thinking it. The larger one of the two also has a tiny bit of it, not visible most of the time. I am also in Canada and medications are really hard to come by so I'd wanna catch it really early, I have metroplex on hand (had to get it from another hobbyist) but I'm concerned its not strong enough to eradicate brook, if it happened to be brook.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The trouble is, all treatments incur some risk, so I worry about treating a tank when there isn’t a clear indication that the treatment will even work.
Jay

OP
OP
C

canadianclownfishguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The trouble is, all treatments incur some risk, so I worry about treating a tank when there isn’t a clear indication that the treatment will even work.
Jay
Okay I will keep a close eye on them. If anything changes I will keep this thread updated, thank you for your time and expertise. Much appreciated.
Evan

Back