Slight tilt and twist in DIY stand

jeebsbyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been making a tank stand for a 65 gallon rimless tank that has a base of 36x21. After gluing the 2x4 frame together, I noticed it’s slanted slightly. The front and back are okay, but the sides lean towards the left. It’s off by about 1/8”.

image.jpg

There’s also a twist in the stand. I drew out the foot prints of the top and bottom, and two corners are off about 1/8” as well. If I was to place the tank directly on top of the 2x4’s, one of the corners would be off the stand.

image.jpg

That’s what one of the corners look like. The line on the left is the top footprint, the right is the bottom, and the middle is how a perfect stand would be.

I’m using a 3/4” piece of plywood for the top and two more for the sides. I’d like the sides to look nice so, to get them straight, they won’t be flush with the stand all the way across. The top is a few inches larger than the tank, so the entire tank will sit on the plywood top, and the top will be supported mostly by the frame under the tank, except for that corner. But that corner will still be supported by the plywood sides.

Is this okay, or am I asking for failure?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the first picture the end of the 2x4 looks like its not cut at a straight 90
I would lay a top on it then use a level and see if in fact the top is level in all 6 ways

Last edited:

Poof No Eyebrows

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are using wet wood you will get twisting, crowning, bowing, etc.
I would start by using a speed square and check the blade for square on what ever your using for your cross cuts.

OP
OP
J

jeebsbyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I replaced the long 2x4’s, would it be okay to make it slightly longer? For example, if I made the frame 1/8” longer than the tank, would that be fine? I’m just wanting to make sure all the corners are supported.

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
plus one on the cut in the first pic. That's a non issue structure wise but might make the skin look messed up. once the top deck is on place it and check for level and plumb. Consider using a compound miter saw over a circular saw if possible. Just my .2

littlebeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apparently can't read... so I have erased my message lol. Me personally I wouldn't worry about an 1/8 inch lean. Only thing that would concern me is that I hope you are using a different wood than that pictured, as that stuff isn't great with water. Looks like particle board. The top must be level to the ground. Remember where you build it might not be level and the place you are putting it also might not be level.

Last edited:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back