Slightest sump leak…

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, so I just noticed that my Red Sea 170 sump has a tiny chip on one of the corners.

I noticed a tiny puddle of water on the floor and after some inspection it appears that there’s a tiny leak in that corner.

I was able to put a ton of superglue in that area and used accelerator to bond it and it seems to have stopped the leak.

Now my question is, can I order just a Red Sea 170 sump alone or should I buy something off BRS? Obviously this is something that needed to be addressed ASAP

I have had this tank for 2 years and just now I’m noticing the tiny chip and the leak so who knows how long this has been going on.

If I can buy something off BRS could someone please lead me in the direction of what to buy. This is the first time something like that happens and I’m kinda freaking out right now

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just measure existing sump dimensions and find something you like and order. BRS isn't the only place to buy, there are sump manufacturers out there. Or even try your LFS, they may have it on the shelf or available to get quicker.

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just measure existing sump dimensions and find something you like and order. BRS isn't the only place to buy, there are sump manufacturers out there. Or even try your LFS, they may have it on the shelf or available to get quicker.
But doesn’t it have to be a special size to hold the overflow?

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like your sump is. 16x16x14.5 dimensions.

Screenshot_20220813-202752.png

That was a quick search on brs... For a sump
This can fit. May lose a slight bit of volume but it's acrylic (which I prefer for sumps). There are prolly others, but you have to measure your cabinet footprint and go from there.

Or you can contact red sea and order another glass sump... Frankly wouldn't bother with that IMHO.

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like your sump is. 16x16x14.5 dimensions.

Screenshot_20220813-202752.png

That was a quick search on brs... For a sump
This can fit. May lose a slight bit of volume but it's acrylic (which I prefer for sumps). There are prolly others, but you have to measure your cabinet footprint and go from there.

Or you can contact red sea and order another glass sump... Frankly wouldn't bother with that IMHO.
Thank you. I was able to reach out to my club and theres someone that makes sumps and tank out of acrylic.

For now I did this it’s been about an hour and. A half and no leak or signs of water. I put some paper towels under the area where I saw the leak to see if anything appears in the morning.

Attachments

• 46260B9E-3E16-4700-B0CC-CC8FC222AA6B.jpeg
    46260B9E-3E16-4700-B0CC-CC8FC222AA6B.jpeg
    80.7 KB · Views: 19

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I was able to reach out to my club and theres someone that makes sumps and tank out of acrylic.

For now I did this it’s been about an hour and. A half and no leak or signs of water. I put some paper towels under the area where I saw the leak to see if anything appears in the morning.
You'll more than likely be ok until you get a new sump ordered, just watch it like a hawk.

wculver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, so I just noticed that my Red Sea 170 sump has a tiny chip on one of the corners.

I noticed a tiny puddle of water on the floor and after some inspection it appears that there’s a tiny leak in that corner.

I was able to put a ton of superglue in that area and used accelerator to bond it and it seems to have stopped the leak.

Now my question is, can I order just a Red Sea 170 sump alone or should I buy something off BRS? Obviously this is something that needed to be addressed ASAP

I have had this tank for 2 years and just now I’m noticing the tiny chip and the leak so who knows how long this has been going on.

If I can buy something off BRS could someone please lead me in the direction of what to buy. This is the first time something like that happens and I’m kinda freaking out right now
You bought a kit type setup and IMO it's a smart idea. The drawback is you don't learn all the goodies of putting your own thing together terribly and having to re-do things later like I did.

Suggestions include:
- This is an opportunity to upgrade/change things you don't like about your existing sump. May put some thought into finding something different if it makes sense.
- When you do go for a replacement make sure it fits. What I mean is make sure the new sump will be able to be installed into the cabinet given the obstructions. Specifically it's more than just the dimensions, you'll have to make sure you can wedge it in given the supports and door on the front. I had a serious problem with this updating an old sump so thought I'd mention.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I agree. I personally would be looking at a geobsump or custom made to improve all the things that are not right about existing sump to utilize all space under tank.

Be sure to measure existing skimmer as well to make sure it fits in new sump.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back