Slightly cloudy eyes on gem tang

tammieh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, this guy has been in quarantine for 26 days. I bought a 300g peninsula with all the fish, no new additions to the group. This weekend was supposed to be move the fish into their final home day.
From the very first day, all of them have been eating great. The gem tang is fat, but a little skittish. Most of the time he's dark black but every now and then he gets a stress look like here (only when he sees us in front of the tank, the moment we're out of his sight he's goes back to normal). He's been eating green/red/purple seaweed and PE mysis with selcon. No signs of any issues until today he looks like his eyes are a little cloudy. He's out and about swimming like normal. But I noticed that not as much nori has been eaten today. Everyone else in quarantine is doing great. Do I need to freak out yet or not?

200248766_585017099334332_8214055009979011227_n.jpg 203631407_395798998540060_2120634096955781509_n.jpg 0605211305f_HDR.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Sorry to see this as it is no pun one gem of a tang. I love mine. The cloudy eyes can stem from a few things. What things? Check the following. . . . .
If it is one eye only, could be a scratch or abrasion

If both eyes . . . .
High ammonia
bacteria (generally associated with water quality diminished
stress
Flukes

If youre using API test kits, your ammonia and nitrate may be higher than kit is showing. Consider an immediate water change (be sure temp and salinity of new water matches your display tank) Add oxygen, as simple as using an air stone.
Antibiotics for this would be ethromyacin AKA Maracyn 1 by Mardel. Ruby Rally pro would also work.

Before any treatment, eliminate chance of flukes by giving this fish a freshwater dip for 4-5 minutes to assure no flukes. Return fish to display and look at bottom of container for what looks like sesame seeds or fish scales. if you see such- those are flukes

OP
OP
tammieh

tammieh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you suspect flukes if no other fish from the same tank is having symptoms?

Just did a 20% water change (quarantine tank is 150g) and added an air stone. I'll recheck chemistry in the morning. I just received the Hanna nitrate tester, so might as well break it out and use it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tammieh

tammieh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Nitrates per the Hanna high range checker is 34.2. I'll do another change tonight. He's out and about swimming like normal.

reefdiver73

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:( This is Tammie's husband. Sadly this gem died sometime in the night. Now I'm nervous for the other fish in the QT system and wonder if any preventative measures should be taken. There is a purple tang with a couple of white dots on him but he is eating so far. All the other fish seem fine.

We're working today to get their main tank back up and running. I'm wondering if the best course of action is to expedite moving them out of the QT system and back into their main 300gal tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tammieh

tammieh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we freshwater dipped the gem tang, didn't see any flukes. The one eye was very red, the other just slightly so. The skin is smooth (ie I don't see ich) and the gills looked red and healthy. I still have him and a super-high powered microscope if there is any other type of exam I should do.

Back