Slime, and hair algae

Eric Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you very much, that was a very informative read. I do not have a protein skimmer as I didn't have the room in the Fiji cube drop in. I have Cheatomorpha in the refugium, some Phosphate and Nitrate filter media. I do have some blue legs hermits, and I lost count on how many, and the kinds of snails. I also have a Halloween crab, Emerald crab, banded shrimp, Diamond Goby, and Lawnmower Blenny.

It does seem to be getting better, my GSP was out today, and my Sympodium is starting to peek out too. It started to get better yesterday before I added the Chemiclean. I still added it with an air pump with 2 stones to raise the O2 in the tank as it said to do on the box.

All the fish, crabs, snails, and shrimp seem do be doing good as well. Everything seems to be on the up and up.

I will be adding more snails and hermit crabs after the treatment. Well probably just hermits, I have a whole lot of snails already lol. I added extra snails because I know the hermits would go for their shells.
Cool to hear! I typically suggest that you use a different active ingredient to treat Cyano if you have to treat again.....so you aren't building up resistance in your tank. I have see Cyano pop its ugly head up again not long after going away.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Do you also consider lighting as a source of Cyano or algae issues? I would also recommend Clear Fx Pro by Blue Life USA instead of Chemipure.....higher grade carbon and more efficient resins by 20-30 percent (according to my resin manufacture). If phosphates aren't an issue then the Clear Fx Reef will do a better job removing organics as it's more based on organic removal than phosphate.
While it is a good product, ive seen it bring po4 quickly to zero and leading to Dino. Also considered is the higher price.
Everyone has a favorite. Ive been using chemiPure over 30 years and it has never let me down

Eric Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While it is a good product, ive seen it bring po4 quickly to zero and leading to Dino. Also considered is the higher price.
Everyone has a favorite. Ive been using chemiPure over 30 years and it has never let me down
I used to use it too and the OG chemi-pure when I was a kid. The nasty carbon dust in that stuff makes me scratch my head why anyone would use that stuff when you have options but I get the old habit thing.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 6.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 26 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back