Slime. Clear gelatin slime clogging my filter sock?

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Notice that my sump was making a lot of noise. Water was flowing around the filter sock. When I removed the sock it was totally clogged with wit an odorless clear thick gelatin like slime. So much so that the sock held water not draining it. Took some real effort to clean it. Also sponge in skimmer box clogged. That is it???? Anybody.

I change some water, sock, filter media, cleaned sponge in water change water......

• Ammonia 0.0
  • NO2 0.05
  • NO3 2.0
  • PH 8.2
  • KH 10.5

Arabyps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience this is a side effect of carbon dosing. The carbon causes bacteria "bloom" which consumers the nitrates. Nothing to worry about but change your filter socks frequently.

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carb and Chemi Pure has been working for 3 weeks, Changed today after slime outbreak. This slime develops and is back in 5 hours, wont be able to keep up with that.

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok. Officially driving me nuts. Filter sock fills with slime in just a couple hours. I have been doing with Red Sea Coralline Gro, Mag and Calcium. Looks like N03 died. What now?

• Ammonia 0
  • N02 0
  • N03 0 opps
  • PH 8.2

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slime everywhere

20201023_120302.jpg

Ebisan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run UV? I noticed when I overfeed and not running UV, my sock and sponge filters would feel slimey. Running UV got rid of the slimey feeling.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a bacterial bloom. When people are asking about carbon dosing, they are talking about dosing the tank with vinegar, or vodka or sugar water to feed the bacteria. NoPox is an off the shelf version.

No large dead snails or fish or anything? Something is fueling the bacteria growth.

If you have a UV, yes fire it up. Keep skimmer running.

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update... 6 clogged sock changes yesterday. It made it overnight with out sock clogging and overflowing.

Slime is pretty much gone but so is all of the Nitrate.

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
PH 8.2
Alk 10.6

Were did the Nitrate go?

With no Nitrate am I going to have an Ammonia Bloom next? Thanks for input.

r20crazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
STOP DOSING. you overdosed and caused a bacterial bloom. only thing that will make it go away is time, and reduced your feeding. keep changing the filter socks and run your skimmer wetter if you can, and use a turkey baster to blow off as much slime as you can. water changes will only temporarily help so DO NOT do WC either, as it just gives the bloom room to grow again. you just have to wait it out, then resume normal water changes. if you super overdosed could take as long as 2 weeks. this is about the 4th thread this week I have seen on this. if you are not dosing something was in the air or on you that got into the tank that caused the bloom. (like air fresheners, burning candles, hand lotion...)

With most systems, regular waterchanges of 10-20% keeps all parameters in check and you dont need to dose anything.

dont chase numbers... consistancy is more important. every tank is different. I havent dosed anything in 15 years, it just causes problems for most (especially those new to hobby)

Last edited:

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
STOP DOSING. you overdosed and caused a bacterial bloom. only thing that will make it go away is time, and reduced your feeding. keep changing the filter socks and run your skimmer wetter if you can, and use a turkey baster to blow off as much slime as you can. water changes will only temporarily help so DO NOT do WC either, as it just gives the bloom room to grow again. you just have to wait it out, then resume normal water changes. if you super overdosed could take as long as 2 weeks. this is about the 4th thread this week I have seen on this. if you are not dosing something was in the air or on you that got into the tank that caused the bloom. (like air fresheners, burning candles, hand lotion...)

With most systems, regular waterchanges of 10-20% keeps all parameters in check and you dont need to dose anything.

dont chase numbers... consistancy is more important. every tank is different. I havent dosed anything in 15 years, it just causes problems for most (especially those new to hobby)

The OP is not dosing carbon. Still puzzled about what could cause a bloom that severe.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 45 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.6%
Back