Sling box instead of wifi adapter

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just like to share that normally I get very, very frustrated with my Apex controller everytime it needs an update or it loses wifi connection because it is such a pain in the butt to have to unhook it from the aquarium and connect it to my router, turn off wifi, etc, etc. This is especially frustrating since my computer has only a wifi connection too and my router is in another room in the house, so I usually have to unhook the router and bring it down to the computer and hook everything up together that way.
Today I could not find the power supply to my apex unit so I decided to try something new. I used an old sling box to hook up to my apex instead and was able to instantly get a connection and update firmware through that without any hiccups. It only took about 40 secs and now I'm back up and running again. SO MUCH EASIER than messing with a wifi adapter. The sling box acts as a wired connection from the router to the apex unit.
I will use this exclusively from now on. Highly recommend!

Usctom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a powerline adapter because my netgear wifi adapter decided a while ago is wasn't going to connect to Internet anymore. I'm loving the powerline adapter so far.

OP
OP
hatfielj

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you plug the power supply of the sling box into your houses outlets. You then plus an ethernet cord from the sling box to your apex. The other sling box (you need at least two for the system to work and when you buy a kit it comes with two), gets plugged into an outlet also and an ethernet cord goes from it to your router. So all of the internet signal gets transmitted through your homes existing outlets. Anywhere you have an outlet you can plug in a sling box and hook into the internet.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back