Small Basement with 50 Gallon Sump - Worried about humidity

ReefHunter006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies if this is the wrong place.

I have a new home where I would like to plumb the 70-100 gallon sump (disregard title) into a small basement that is only accessibly via an outside door, so airflow is a bit of a concern.

The basement is about 7 ft high, 8ft x 5ft. My primary concern before I put any water down there is to ensure humidity doesn’t cause water damage/mold.

The basement does connect to a crawl space and I can install a vent to the outside with a humidity sensor and a central air duct runs through the basement but no vent currently. Is a small vent connected to central air and a vent fan to the outside enough to prevent any issues? Am I not considering something?

Outside humidity tends to be 30-40%

Would really like to hear some opinions.

Last edited:

watdachuck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a drain? I have a dehumidifier in my basement that drains directly to the sump pump and out to the street. I keep it at 45% and it runs 6-8 hours a day.

My basement is about 900 square feet, and total water volume of the tank is about 200 gallons.

OP
OP
ReefHunter006

ReefHunter006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a drain? I have a dehumidifier in my basement that drains directly to the sump pump and out to the street. I keep it at 45% and it runs 6-8 hours a day.

My basement is about 900 square feet, and total water volume of the tank is about 200 gallons.
There isn’t a sump pump that I’m aware of. We move in at the end of the month so it’s possible but I don’t recall seeing one.

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking out loud. If you get your evap out of the DT maybe you can also keep the sump more covered to reduce evap down there.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your primary concern should be If the air around your tank is shared by your furnace.

My older furnace RUSTED out due to SW sumpmbeing 15ft away sharing the same air space.

New furnace called for me installing drywall to seal in a fish room

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your primary concern should be If the air around your tank is shared by your furnace.

My older furnace RUSTED out due to SW sumpmbeing 15ft away sharing the same air space.

What caused it to rust out? Salt creep or splashing or what? Evaporation alone shouldn’t do that, I think. How big was the sump?

OP
OP
ReefHunter006

ReefHunter006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for that. It is definitely near the water heater so that might be a similiar problem. It would only be 5ish feet away. Maybe best to just keep the sump under the cabinet.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that. It is definitely near the water heater so that might be a similiar problem. It would only be 5ish feet away. Maybe best to just keep the sump under the cabinet.
Water heater have glass liners inside the metal tank. I wouldnt worry that SW would rust a heater out

Furnaces yes
Water heater no

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back