Small bugs come out at night and irritate corals

Roemer’s Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’m pretty new to the hobby and this is my first post on here, so hey all! I’ve noticed at night and in the mornings when the lights come on that I have small bugs that come out and crawl all over the sand bed. They disturb my corals pretty bad at night….my corals all get pretty irritated, and my button scoly has started to retract the past couple days. Anyone have any idea what these could be and if they are actually eating my coral? I’ve attached a video of them

fishski13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some reason the video is not working for me.

Are you sure these bugs are not pods of some sort. Usually pods come out at night and you can see them in the morning when the lights go on as they scatter away.

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some reason the video is not working for me.

Are you sure these bugs are not pods of some sort. Usually pods come out at night and you can see them in the morning when the lights go on as they scatter away.

+1

You are seeing amphipods most likely. They will eat debris, dying flesh, algae and will romp around at night on everything. If coral are unhealthy they can certainly consume them but this is usually thought that the coral is unhealthy first before the pods come to eat it.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with above. Bugs are probably pods and a good thing. If corals are appearing irritated it's either their natural retraction during the night or other environmental issues causing it.

littlebeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can not see the video, however if they are amphipods, amphipods are a group of about 9900 different species. Some are harmless, some are not. In rare instances they have been reported to have attacked humans! Graphic News Link.

I actually had the misfortune of having some attack corals in my tank and if you search this forum find that I am not alone. The solution for me was a Red-Lined Wrasse. I believe any in the genus Halichoeres should do the job.

Last edited:

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just downloaded video ( usually best to upload to YouTube then share link as others can just simply press play to view video)
But what I see is gamma ampripods ,with the tell tale arching of the body .
Screenshot from your video
And some other common hitch hikers

Screenshot_20220824-142956_Video Player.jpg

OP
OP
R

Roemer’s Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys!! Should I be worried at all about the ampripods? Corals seem to be back out and somewhat happy this morning. My mushrooms and cloves usually never recede all the way to nubs in the night so that’s what had me worried. The scoly is still looking a little irritated. I’m running a fishless tank right now because I had a velvet outbreak about a month ago and now have all fish in quarantine tank…will the pods ever start eating corals out of hunger? I’m only spot feeling the corals every 3 days or so, so there isn’t a ton of left over food in there for the pods

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys!! Should I be worried at all about the ampripods? Corals seem to be back out and somewhat happy this morning. My mushrooms and cloves usually never recede all the way to nubs in the night so that’s what had me worried. The scoly is still looking a little irritated. I’m running a fishless tank right now because I had a velvet outbreak about a month ago and now have all fish in quarantine tank…will the pods ever start eating corals out of hunger? I’m only spot feeling the corals every 3 days or so, so there isn’t a ton of left over food in there for the pods
What are your current parameters?

OP
OP
R

Roemer’s Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your current parameters?
Current parameters are:
Salinity- 1.024
Temp: 79
PH-8.1
Calcium-430
AlK- 8.8
Mag- 1450
P04-0.1
Nitrates are a kind of high at 40 ppm can’t seem to get them lower than about 30 in the tank just added cheato and mangroves in the fuge, I was only running sea lettuce before
Run the refugium light 24/7

SindoCanales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current parameters are:
Salinity- 1.024
PH-8.1
Calcium-430
AlK- 8.8
Mag- 1450
P04-0.1
Nitrates are a kind of high at 40 ppm can’t seem to get them lower than about 30 in the tank just added cheato and mangroves in the fuge, I was only running sea lettuce before
Current parameters are:
Salinity- 1.024
PH-8.1
Calcium-430
AlK- 8.8
Mag- 1450
P04-0.1
I wouldn’t run the cheato 24/7 give it at least 4-6 of rest so it can start again. Do you have any fish ?? Maybe I didn’t read it but a 6 line wrasse is what I recommend everyone as a bit of pest control. They will eat a ton of pest this could be a natural option.

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would make sure the pods are fed else I might worry a zoa head or acan might start lookin a little tasty to em…

for real tho, if detrivores don’t have food lying around they probably consume ,I would think, any bit of failing flesh which might cause them to attack coral faster? I think having fish usually solves this bc of leftover food but I noticed you are fishless right now…just a thought to remember the bottom of that food chain.

OP
OP
R

Roemer’s Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would make sure the pods are fed else I might worry a zoa head or acan might start lookin a little tasty to em…

for real tho, if detrivores don’t have food lying around they probably consume ,I would think, any bit of failing flesh which might cause them to attack coral faster? I think having fish usually solves this bc of leftover food but I noticed you are fishless right now…just a thought to remember the bottom of that food chain
That’s what I was kind of worried about too, I’ve been feeding ocean magic to the tank every day but I’m not sure if they are getting it down on the bottom of the tank or not. I can put fish back into the tank in about 2 weeks, so hopefully the corals make it until then….there usually is a a little bit of left over food on the sand bed when I spot feed the corals a couple times a week

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave a half open small clam or some other kind of meaty food on the bottom at night. They will feast
Phyto ain’t gonna feed amphipod directly you are correct

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 33 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back