Small circles everywhere on my tank

Damaris223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello this is my first tank and I notice small circles so I’m not sure what they are and what I’m supposed to do with them. I’m planning on putting corals in this tank so i want to now if this is going to affect them. And if they are bad for my tank what should I do to get them out.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I just scrape them off?
You should be able to, yes. You also have a few “Asterina” (technically Aquilonastra, but known in the hobby as Asterina) starfish in your tank.

Personally, I like them, but they do tend to reproduce very quickly, and some people believe they eat zoas.

Edit: forgot to add, you may want to give the common hitchhiker threads on the forum here a quick read through and remember that most hitchhikers are easily dealt with if they’re a problem at all. Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello this is my first tank and I notice small circles so I’m not sure what they are and what I’m supposed to do with them. I’m planning on putting corals in this tank so i want to now if this is going to affect them. And if they are bad for my tank what should I do to get them out.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
Confirming spirobids and are harmless filter feeders which feed off algae and can be an eyesore nuisance. Scrape these off with an old credit card or similar into a net and discard. If you use a magnetic algae remover, they can scratch glass. Do the same with those asterina starfish as they multiply like mice.
Both are capable of getting into plumbing, sump and pumps and cause issues.

Please Note: An emergency is a trauma or crisis situation in which one is losing fish rapidly, tank is leaking, coral suddenly turning white, as examples and these persons warrant immediate help and posting a basic question takes away from those who need immediate attention.
Just a clarification for you as if one day you have a true emergency, you cant get help fast enough and will hope someone isnt posting similar making you wait.

Upvote 0

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back