Small feather duster living in my frogspawn?

NoodleReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there everyone! So a month ago, one of my family friends sent me a frogspawn coral that they bought as a gift. Turns out, it was quite bleached and wasn't opening at all for the first week or so and that's when I noticed that there was a hole beside one of the frogspawn heads.

20210816_093308.jpg

That's the hole without the feather duster coming out on the top right head

20210816_093226.jpg

And that's when it's out looking for food

Although I'm not sure whether it's really a feather duster or a barnacle, I assume that it may be one of the reasons why the coral is bleached. The frogspawn itself is doing very well now a month into my tank with all the heads opening fully and regaining its original green colour, but I still get worried about this feather duster living in its skeleton.

Should I remove it somehow?

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if the feather duster was irritating the hammer it would only cause that single head to bleach or die off. Only way to remove it would be to super glue the hole shut

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When my lights come on, I will show you the feather and hammers co exist. The hammer protect the worm from predators, but not always. Feather dusters are far less irritating to corals than verminted snail.

Also, they live with frogs/octospawn as well. But, if you believe the worm is an issue, you can remove it or glue it. I don't like letting animals starve. I prefer killing them instead.

OP
OP
NoodleReefer

NoodleReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if the feather duster was irritating the hammer it would only cause that single head to bleach or die off. Only way to remove it would be to super glue the hole shut
I see, I'll try to monitor it as best I can to see if it causes anything adverse. Thanks!

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I see, I'll try to monitor it as best I can to see if it causes anything adverse. Thanks!
The tissue will grow around the worm. It's why I am waiting for the lights to go on. Often times clowns will call a frogspawn home as well. They are much tougher than other corals in that sense. The thing to keep an eye on is the tissue on the skeleton. If that tissue retracts. The coral is not happy.
Also, make sure the others are not showing the same signs of stress, that would mean a water issue.

OP
OP
NoodleReefer

NoodleReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When my lights come on, I will show you the feather and hammers co exist. The hammer protect the worm from predators, but not always. Feather dusters are far less irritating to corals than verminted snail.

Also, they live with frogs/octospawn as well. But, if you believe the worm is an issue, you can remove it or glue it. I don't like letting animals starve. I prefer killing them instead.
Gotcha. Does your feather duster also live inside the hammer's skeleton?

OP
OP
NoodleReefer

NoodleReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a close up of the hammer and feather.
Yeah I can definitely see it now. It's very interesting to know that they can live together like that, I never knew this before seeing it with my own eyes! I'll just keep this lil' guy with my frogspawn since it's a free duster anyway.

I really appreciate the help! Thank you!

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah I can definitely see it now. It's very interesting to know that they can live together like that, I never knew this before seeing it with my own eyes! I'll just keep this lil' guy with my frogspawn since it's a free duster anyway.

I really appreciate the help! Thank you!
NP, but the feather is in a strange spot on your frogspawn. Keep an eye on anything weird vs the other heads. Just in case the frog doesn't like the worm. You never know.

OP
OP
NoodleReefer

NoodleReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NP, but the feather is in a strange spot on your frogspawn. Keep an eye on anything weird vs the other heads. Just in case the frog doesn't like the worm. You never know.
I will monitor it as much as I can, just in case haha

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back