Small leak when ball valve is closed too much

gray808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so my tank has been up and running for a few days, no problems really.

Today, I started trying to fine-tune the ball valve to make the overflow as quiet as possible. This is the setup:

overflow.JPG

I read that I should close the ball valve (center) just enough that the water in the overflow rests just below the secondary/backup drain (left-most), in order to make it as close to silent as I can.

Right now, it's running such that the water sits just above base of the screened (center) pipe. Water flows down into the sump somewhat aggressively, making a fair amount of bubbles.

I closed the valve, just enough that the water level was just a hair over the secondary, then was trying to fine-tune it be just below... when I noticed that if I close the valve that much, I get a dribble of water coming down the center drain, apparently from the junction where it meets the tank. Open up the valve a bit more, and it goes away.

I figure I need to turn the return pump off, let the overflow drain completely, then re-attach that center pipe. Sound right?

Is there any way I can make triple sure the seal is perfect?

Is this type of ball valve as good as a gate valve? Should I think about swapping, while I have the overflow dry?

--Gray

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A gate valve would be better for fine tuning your flow, you can make fine tune adjustments compared to a ball valve

rob taft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swap the valve with a good gate valve e.g. Spears while its easier.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back