Small quarantine tank ????

SteveMac84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a small tank I’m planning to use to quarantine fish as it becomes time to add them slowly. Trying to insure that I don’t ruin the hard work, money and time put in so far to our tank. the rock and live sand have been in there for A month. added dr Tim’s one and only a week ago and dr Tim’s ammonia added 3 days ago. Ammonia peaked at 2.0 yesterday. Down to 1.0 today. nitrite is zero. Nitrate is 5. Seems to be settling Through the cycle. since this tank will be mostly empty for weeks on end. Is the small amount of rock I had leftover enough to sustain it over time as long as I am testing and adjusting as needed???? Salinity is great, just have to keep on it as water evaporates quickly. Any other suggestions?
B6939FF7-482E-46F8-A581-1879E2E2531C.jpeg

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What will you do if you have to add copper? The rock and sand all absorb it and you will have a difficult time maintaining levels. Then if you decide to remove them you will have no biological filtration. So if you think you may need to add meds at some point, better to use a different medium for biological filtration from the get go.

OP
OP
SteveMac84

SteveMac84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What will you do if you have to add copper? The rock and sand all absorb it and you will have a difficult time maintaining levels. Then if you decide to remove them you will have no biological filtration. So if you think you may need to add meds at some point, better to use a different medium for biological filtration from the get go.
Should I just get another live rock and start over ? I’m in no rush. I just added clowns a week ago.

OP
OP
SteveMac84

SteveMac84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you recommend ?

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a live rock and a small bucket of substrate in one of my quarantine tanks in which I'm dosing copper: I have a wrasse. Yes, copper is absorbed by the substrate, but the key is to test daily with a high-range copper tester.

The small live rock is for a puffer which is also going through the quarantine. It likes to perch and/or sleep on it.

I'd also add an airstone or, better yet, a power head for more aeration and oxygenation.

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bare bone QT: A small aquarium, a lid to prevent the fish from jumping out, a sponge filter with an airstone in the middle, a pvc pipe for the fish to hide in, a heater and a thermometer. As long as you do frequent water changes you can be successful with the bare minimum. Of course you can fancy it up as you like. But stay away from anything that will absorb medication.

OP
OP
SteveMac84

SteveMac84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people use a sponge filter as a medium to grow their biological filter on. Most people don’t use any rock nor sand in a QT. I would recommend this route.
A bare bone QT: A small aquarium, a lid to prevent the fish from jumping out, a sponge filter with an airstone in the middle, a pvc pipe for the fish to hide in, a heater and a thermometer. As long as you do frequent water changes you can be successful with the bare minimum. Of course you can fancy it up as you like. But stay away from anything that will absorb medication.
Got it now. Thank you. Thought a small amount would be ok.

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some fish do need a little sand. But that’s the exception than the rule. Focus on mastering quarantine with easier fish and then you can move up to more demanding fish.

Another thing you can add is a hang on filter. Just remove carbon inside and use a filter floss as a mechanical filtration. I’ve also added small bio balls inside of it for the bacteria to grow on.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd add to that a seachem ammonia badge. Just in case.

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it now. Thank you. Thought a small amount would be ok.
Small amount would be ok if you regularly test and adjust levels of copper like the other person mentioned. I believe people who use sand put it in a little bowl so that it is localized rather than all over the tank. That way it can be removed easily.

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running a successful QT is an art and a good amount of work. BUT, with practice you can master it and it well serve you very well in this hobby. It’s a really nice feeling to see the fish happy and healthy and knowing you are doing the best you can for them.

OP
OP
SteveMac84

SteveMac84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have live rock and a small bucket of substrate in one of my quarantine tanks in which I'm dosing copper: I have a wrasse. Yes, copper is absorbed by the substrate, but the key is to test daily with a high-range copper tester.

I'd also add an airstone or, better yet, a power head for more aeration and oxygenation.
That filter was for a 25g fluval it’s got a lot of water flow. I’ll add the air-stone for sure. Thank you.

OP
OP
SteveMac84

SteveMac84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running a successful QT is an art and a good amount of work. BUT, with practice you can master it and it well serve you very well in this hobby. It’s a really nice feeling to see the fish happy and healthy and knowing you are doing the best you can for them.
Thank you. Trying to do it right. Learn from those before me.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small amount would be ok if you regularly test and adjust levels of copper like the other person mentioned. I believe people who use sand put it in a little bowl so that it is localized rather than all over the tank. That way it can be removed easily.
Yes, and I'm not advocating the general use of sand and/or live rock for copper quarantining. That wrasse is a special case, and I'm in the process of ramping down the copper now.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back