Small quarantine tank ????

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Remove the rock and sand. Run copper for ich and velvet , and antiviral medication for parasites. I just broke down my entire reef and now I’m doing things backwards because I didn’t do it right the first time. Bro save the hassle now on the fallow period in case you get an outbreak . 76 days isn’t cool on a fallow period when 30 days of quarantine can be a one and done thing

OP
OP
SteveMac84

SteveMac84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remove the rock and sand. Run copper for ich and velvet , and antiviral medication for parasites. I just broke down my entire reef and now I’m doing things backwards because I didn’t do it right the first time. Bro save the hassle now on the fallow period in case you get an outbreak . 76 days isn’t cool on a fallow period when 30 days of quarantine can be a one and done thing
Thanks

OP
OP
SteveMac84

SteveMac84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock gone. Sand mostly gone. Copper testing, coppersafe and prazIpro ordered Letting it settle a couple days. Then will test All around levels. Hoping it settles by next weekend. Want to add a tang then. Very nice small flame fin tang at our local store.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Rock gone. Sand mostly gone. Copper testing, coppersafe and prazIpro ordered Letting it settle a couple days. Then will test All around levels. Hoping it settles by next weekend. Want to add a tang then. Very nice small flame fin tang at our local store.
Cool. Is this your first time doing copper medication ?

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Yes it is. Any advice? It has not delivered yet.
- don’t use any of your quarantine equipment for your display. Fish net, etc
- highly recommend getting Seachem Ammonia badge
-highly recommend the Hanna High range copper test to ensure you dial in with correct ppm during the water changes
- ramp up over 6-7 days

What kind of copper are you using? I’m currently using Copper Power

OP
OP
SteveMac84

SteveMac84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
- don’t use any of your quarantine equipment for your display. Fish net, etc
- highly recommend getting Seachem Ammonia badge
-highly recommend the Hanna High range copper test to ensure you dial in with correct ppm during the water changes
- ramp up over 6-7 days

What kind of copper are you using? I’m currently using Copper Power
Thank you. I ordered coppersafe and the ammonia badge. What level of copper is optimum?

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There should be instructions on the bottle. Also you don’t need to ramp it up 6-7 days. 2 days at the max if at all. Once Jay Hemdal chimes in he will explain better.

OP
OP
SteveMac84

SteveMac84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank
There should be instructions on the bottle. Also you don’t need to ramp it up 6-7 days. 2 days at the max if at all. Once Jay Hemdal chimes in he will explain better.
thank you. Glad to hear on the 7 days. My order gets here on Tuesday. Would like to get that flame fin tang next weekend.

OP
OP
SteveMac84

SteveMac84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The debate I’ve read is to predose or not. Some say wait a few days and observe before doing copper and prazipro that it’s less stress on the fish. Others say to be ahead of it with low doses. What are your thoughts???

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thought is: Treat all fish as if they are infected from the get go. And treat them at full dose.

Reason for my thought process:

1. Observation may not show hidden disease
2. Fish may die while observing especially with something like velvet
3. Treatment under therapeutic dose may hide the disease but will not eliminate it
4. Treatment under therapeutic dose may result in the development of resistance by the pathogen (there has been some talk off copper resistant ich because of this reason).
5. For almost all fish (I will exclude very sensitive fish since I don’t have experience with them as I haven’t kept them) the chelated forms of copper is well tolerated at full dose from the get go based on what I have heard from experts like Dr. Hemdal. I believe the slow ramp up was for the ionic form of copper (cuppramine).

I have a yellow tang with active ich and a Picasso and Niger trigger with no active disease in full copper power since Nov 2. They are all doing fantastic. The challenge with the QT for me has not been the copper but keeping the parameters of the water healthy in such a small system without all the fancy filtration that my big system has.

Again this is just my experience and opinion. So far it has worked for me (keeping fingers crossed).

OP
OP
SteveMac84

SteveMac84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thought is: Treat all fish as if they are infected from the get go. And treat them at full dose.

Reason for my thought process:

1. Observation may not show hidden disease
2. Fish may die while observing especially with something like velvet
3. Treatment under therapeutic dose may hide the disease but will not eliminate it
4. Treatment under therapeutic dose may result in the development of resistance by the pathogen (there has been some talk off copper resistant ich because of this reason).
5. For almost all fish (I will exclude very sensitive fish since I don’t have experience with them as I haven’t kept them) the chelated forms of copper is well tolerated at full dose from the get go based on what I have heard from experts like Dr. Hemdal. I believe the slow ramp up was for the ionic form of copper (cuppramine).

I have a yellow tang with active ich and a Picasso and Niger trigger with no active disease in full copper power since Nov 2. They are all doing fantastic. The challenge with the QT for me has not been the copper but keeping the parameters of the water healthy in such a small system without all the fancy filtration that my big system has.

Again this is just my experience and opinion. So far it has worked for me (keeping fingers crossed).
Thank you so much. Huge help.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back